Chapter 12

********

"Hunh -!" I uttered a startled groan. And dropped to the ground. I spun around to face my attacker. No one there. Nothing. "Huh?" A shocked cry escaped my lips. I started to scramble to my feet - and saw what had hit the back of my head. A bird's nest. A dried up, broken bird's nest. It must have fallen from a tree limb above my head. Probably shaken loose by the gusts of wind.

"Oh, wow" I shook twigs from my hair. Then, cradling the camera case under my arm, I gazed around. Where was I ? Trees up ahead slanted as if leaning against each other. A low mound of rocks stood at the edge of a ridge of tall reeds. I am lost, I realized.

I gazed up at the sky. No moon. The heavy rain clouds covered the moon and stars. How do I get back ? I squinted into the darkness, searching for the path. Searching for anything I might recognize. Nothing. If I could find the creek, maybe I could find the spot where I found my camera, I decided. But which direction was the creek ? I was completely turned around. I shivered. A cold raindrop spattered on the shoulder of my jacket. I jumped. The bird's nest had made me terrified of things falling from the sky! What should I do ? My mind whirred frantically with ideas. Should I call for help ? Maybe if I called loud enough, they would hear me.

But, no. If I shout, the animal - the snarling creature - will hear me first. Was it still searching for me ? Was it still nearby ? I decided I had better not call for help. What should I do ? What ? Start walking in one direction ? And just keep going no matter what ? No. I remembered a book I had read where a girl was lost in the desert. And she tried walking in a straight line. And she just made circles. She went around and around and didn't even realize it until she saw her own footprints in the sand! Maybe I should wait until the sun comes up, I decided. I will never find my way in this darkness. When it's daylight, I will have a much better chance. I didn't like the idea of spending the night in the woods. But waiting here until I could see where I was going seemed like a good idea.

But then I heard a clattering sound. And felt the rain start to pound down hard. A freezing rain, swept by gusting wind. I can't stay here, I realized. I have to get back to the house. I walked and walked, trying to retrace my steps. I sighed with relief when I finally came to the clump of bushes where I had hid. I found the flashlight and gripped it tightly in my free hand. I took a guess on which direction to go next. Ducking my head against the rain, I started to walk again. Less than a minute letter, I stumbled over something. Something soft. I landed on my knees. Turned, back to see what I had tripped over.

And let out a cry of horror.

*****"

Enjoy ? Don't forget to Vote and Comment ❤️❤️