Chapter 9

*****

I dropped against the wall. My whole body shook. I swallowed hard and listened to the heavy footsteps above my head. I have got to get out of here! I told myself. I have got to get out of this house!

I have to tell Uncle Collin and Aunt Martha ! But my legs felt like Jello. I didn't know if I could walk. I took a shaky step. Then another. And then I heard a new sound from upstairs. I stopped and listened.

Humming? Was someone humming?
With a burst of energy, zi grabbed the door to the attic. I pulled it open and shouted up the stairs, "Who's up there? Who is it?
"It's me, Alex!" a familiar voice called down.
"Hannah- ?" I choked out. I stared up to the attic. "Wh-what are you doing up there?"

"Didn't your aunt tell you I came back?" Hannah called.
"No, she didn't," I replied.
"She said she had some old clothes up here that might make a good costume. So I came back to check it out."
Her head appeared at the top of the stairs.
"Why do you sound so weird ?"
"I - I thought -" I began. But the words caught in my throat.
I started up the stairs.
"No -!" Hannah cried. Don't come up!"
I stopped on the third step. "How come?" I called.
"I'm not dressed. I'm trying on stuff," she explained. She smiled down at me. "Besides, I want to surprise you. There's some awesome old stuff up here. Your aunt and uncle must have looked really weird when they were young."

Her head disappeared from view. I could hear the rustle of clothes up there. I backed down the stairs. "Hey- do you know where my camera is ?" I asked. "I have looked all over the house, and -"
"Oh, no!" Hannah groaned. Her head appeared again. This time she wasn't smiling.
"What?" I called up to her.
"Your camera, Alex. Do you think maybe you left it in the woods?" I gasped. "I don't know. I thought...." My voice trailed off. I had a sick, heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach. "You had it when Sean and Arjun left," Hannah said. "But when we came back to the house, I don't remember you carrying it."
"Oh, wow!" I shook my head. "I have got to go get it, Hannah. I can't leave it overnight in the woods."
"No-! She cried. "Alex, listen to me. You can't go out there."
"I have to!" I cried. "But the woods are not safe at night," she protested. "They really are not safe." I turned away and ran down the hall. I pulled on my jacket and found a flashlight on the floor of the hall closet. I tested it a few times. The light was steady and bright.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," I shouted up to Hannah.
"No- please, Alex!" I heard her call down.
"Listen to me! Don't go into the woods tonight! Wait for me to get dressed. Just wait for me - okay?" But I couldn't leave my camera out there to be ruined.

I closed the front door behind me and stepped out into the light of the moon.

*****

Thank you so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Your voting and feedback means the world. ❤️❤️