Twenty five

Mew's voice cracked as he finished the song. He had put so much raw emotion into the performance. Turning away from the cameras, he took a slow, deep breath, grounding himself. Had Gulf somehow been listening?

//

Leaning wearily against the dusty open window of the creaking old train, Gulf watched as the palm trees, paddy fields and mule carts of rural Thailand became gradually more built upon, sparse buildings and dirt tracks growing into bustling market streets and the incessant car horns of Bangkok's daily gridlock.

He was back to his city - via an indirect flight and a lengthy stopover that carried him into the next day - he was almost home.

//

Feeling unsettled since the morning, Mew tried to focus on the rehearsal with Zom and Nice, offering input as producer of their new collaboration.

"I think we need to add another layer of harmony on the bridge, the production is too thin there. Nong Nice, could you maybe use falsetto? It would be a nice lead into the key change from minor to major".

The session dragged on, until finally the track had been laid, ready for final editing. That could wait for another day.

Pulling on her platform boots - she always preferred to sing barefoot - Zom called over to Mew at the mixing desk:

"You must be tired my friend...what a night! The whole of Thailand has been talking about you non stop since yesterday! Now everyone knows that you were the ghost behind all of those huge projects, they're dizzy!"

Nice nodded in agreement, slapping Mew on the back in celebratory fashion, with a "Yesss bro!"

Mew wai-ed appreciatively, bending low at the waist. It was true, the phones had not stopped ringing, both in the office and at his family home - he had switched his mobile off within minutes of opening his eyes that morning, such was the number of missed calls from press members and astonished friends. Even his parents had been surprisingly supportive - particularly once Jom had thrown over some 'accidental' hints about using Mew's musical successes to further project the current expansion of Wings of Jongcheveevat, especially when targeting younger audiences. 'Clever sis', Mew had chuckled to himself.

Yes, Zom Marie was right, it did seem like the whole country was talking about him. But what of that special person?

//

Arriving at his condominium building, Mew passed through the lobby and stepped into the lift, with its mirrors and walnut facade interior. Pressing his chin to his chest, he raised a hand to massage his stiff neck, before straightening up and running fingers through his dark hair. Up, up, travelled the lift, up towards the heavens. Then, 'ding!', the doors opened at the 23rd floor.

Mew stepped out and saw...Gulf curled up asleep on the doormat of condo 59.