nine

"Come and play with us, Addie. Please?"

"Alright, Maggie. Just for a little bit. I have homework that I have to do for tomorrow."

"We're just having tea, Addie." Maggie pulled me to the closet, "Wear the black one."

I laughed, "All right. Is Jade coming over?"

Maggie nodded, "She's helping mom get the tea ready."

I shooed her from the room and undressed. I grabbed the black dress and slipped in on. I took my hair out of its bun and let it rest on my shoulder. I grabbed my black flats and slipped them on.

"Come one, Addie!"

I smiled and left my room.

"She's here!"

I grinned at the two little girls sitting at the dining room table, "Let's get this party started."

Jade giggled, "I helped Aunt Grace make the finger sandwiches."

I sat down next to her, "Really?"

Her bronze skin made her blue eyes stand out as she laughed, "I did."

I grinned at her and laid my napkin on my lap.

Jade copied me, her eyes taking in my every movement.

"Tea is ready." Mom called as she entered the room with a platter.

The girls clapped and I moved the teacups to make room for the platter.

"Addilynn, that door."

I glanced up at Dad's voice, "Coming."

I stood and moved into the living room. Dad sat on the couch reading his newspaper. I opened the front door.

"Hi, Addie."

I was shocked, "Trent? What are you doing her?"

He laughed quietly, "I wanted to know if you wanted to take a walk in the park with me?"

I eyed his handsome face, then glanced down at my dress, "I'm not really dressed for a walk in the park."

"Sure you are. You look great."

I had never seen that look in his eyes before, "I don't know, Trent."

"Who is it, Addie?" Dad called from his spot on the couch.

"Trent from work." I called over my shoulder.

"Please, Addie?"

I could hear the laughter of my sister and Jade. The clinking of their teacups. "Not tonight, Trent. I'm busy. Sorry."

His face darkened and he took a step forward, "One more time. Come with me to the park."

Fear ran through me at his dark tone, "I can't, Trent."

"You will regret this." Trent hissed as he brushed past me.

"Trent?" I stumbled back and watched him enter my house.

Dad stood, "Excuse me. But– "

I watched in shock as Trent pulled a gun out from behind his back. His finger tightened on the trigger.