four

The sun's pink light streaked the early sky.   

I stood, stretching my stiff back and throwing my journal on my bed. It had been a long night, the men in the basement talking long into the night.

I moved towards the door and pulled into open. I stopped in shock as the little body fell onto my feet. Her sleepy eyes opened and focused on me. 

I knelt next to her, "Have a nice sleep?"

She nodded, not moving from off my feet.

"Want to come with me to get breakfast?" I felt a smile grow at the girl's grin.

I helped her up and she ran to get changed. I moved down the hallway and stepped into the bathroom. I quickly brushed my teeth and hair. Throwing on my dark makeup and a squirt of my lilac perfume, I stepped out of the bathroom. The girl stood waiting for me. 

"I have to get changed first."

She nodded and followed me to my door. I didn't let her in, but closed the door. I moved to my bedside and pulled my suitcase out from under the bed. I had to be ready to leave at any moment, hence the case. I shuffled through my clothes, choosing a new pair of jeans and T-shirt. I swiftly changed into my new outfit and left the room, old clothes going back into the suitcase.

The girl grinned at me as I lead her into the kitchen. She climbed onto the counter and sat next to me as I wrote a quick note for Sam.

"Getting food for breakfast. I have"

I paused, looking up, "What's your name, love?"

"Lila."

"I have Lila with me. Jack"

"What's your name?" I glanced at her.

Her brown eyes held an innocent light; her grin, cute. I smiled at her, giving into the urge, "Jack."

She giggled, the sound sending tears to my eyes, "That's a funny name."

I grinned back at her, "It's a nickname."

Her laughter died down as she asked her next question, "What's your real name?"

I leaned into, motioning for her to do the same. She came close, excitement on her face.

"It's a secret." I whispered in her ear and pulled away.

Her face dropped, "Can you tell me?"

I shook my head, "I never can tell anyone."

She frowned, "Why?"

"Because a witch is after me. And if she hears someone say my name, she'll find me." I winked at her, diverting her. It was sort of the truth.

She giggled again, and I fought the urge to cover my ears. It was too familiar. Too raw. Lila was so young. Not much younger than Maggie. Only a year or two.

I could see Maggie now. Her smile nearly stretching off her face. Her grey eyes, so much like our fathers, held a joy that I could feel. Her small frame was clothed in her favorite dress, all ready for our tea party.

I shoved the rest of the memory away. I couldn't relive that night. I never wanted to relive it.

"You ready to go?" I asked, thankful that she didn't notice my trance.

She nodded vigorously, "Let's go."

I helped her down and together we moved through the silent house. I unlocked the front door and we slipped into the cool morning air.

Lila shivered and I hurried her into the car. I slid in the front seat, "All buckled up?"

Lila nods and breaths on her hands.

I hide my smile and back out of the driveway, "McDonalds, here we come."