two

"Jack, dear!"

I forced a smile onto my face and turned, "Mrs. Debutant."

The old woman shuffled towards me, "My grandson is coming into town next week. You'll be around, right?"

I shook my head, "I actually won't."

"Oh."

"I'm going out of town for a few weeks."

Mrs. Debutant grabbed a hold of the fence, "What will I do without you?" 

I gave another forced smile, "I'm sure you will manage. Plus your grandson is coming."

She nodded, a dazed look on her face. I watched as she turned away from me and shuffled back into her home.

Remorse filled me. I shouldn't have let her get attached to me. I had move around so many times, having friends made people vulnerable.

I turned back towards my car, and climbed in.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

I watch the woman climb into her car.

"She seems cold."

I glanced at Sam, "Sam?"

He had a slight frown on his face, "She's always been that way. Very distant and cool."

Baby Nate let out a screech.

"Sorry." Laura whispered.

I smiled at her and shifted Lila on my lap, "No harm done."

Sam pulled the van away from the curb and around to the next street, "Jack's backyard is through that fence."

"Let's go." Clint answered and opened the back door, helping his wife out.

I set Lila on her feet and we scrambled after them. I heard Bucky's footsteps behind me.

Sam held open the fence door, "Come one."

"I'll park the van." Scott called as he pulled away from us.

I guided Lila into the yard, "Let's get inside."

The yard was lit only by the dying light of the setting sun.

"Steve, the door's locked."

I glanced at Laura. Clint was picking the lock, Cooper watching him.

"Are we in yet?" Sam asked, coming up the porch steps.

"Almost." Clint grunted.

The door swung open.

Clint grinned at us, "I still got it."

I followed the Barton's into the house. The very bare house. My eyes took in the unpainted walls and the scarce furniture.

"How long has she lived here?" I heard Bucky mutter.

We all stood in the partly empty living room. The morning paper sat on the coffee table. My face stared back at me.

"We made it on the front page." Clint picked up the paper.

I glanced at our ragtag group. The Barton's. Bucky, Sam, Scott. And me. 

"Jack left a note." Sam called from the kitchen.

I moved towards him, "What's it say?"

"Put the Bartons in the back bedroom. The guys are in the basement. Blankets and sheet are in the hall closet. I'll be back before it gets too dark. Jack."

I narrowed my eyes at her block print, "Jack is a very special lady." 

Sam laughed, "Special isn't the word for her.

I cracked a smile, and a quick pain shot through my bruised cheek.

Sam laid the paper back on the counter, "We'd best get settled in before she gets back."

I nodded, "I'll tell the others."

"No, I will."

"Okay."

Sam turned and left the kitchen. My eyes wandered to the coffee machine sitting on the counter. I stepped up it and flipped the ON switch up. Then I grabbed a cup off the counter and filled it with water, pouring it into the machine. The dark liquid splashed into the pot.

I leaned back up against the opposite counter, waiting. 

The small kitchen is unpainted, like the rest of the house. There were no curtains or any feminine touches. Almost like she didn't even live here. Other than the coffee machine, the counters were bare. I'd bet the cabinets were too.

The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I tensed.

I looked around me, the gang making quiet noises from the other part of the house, but that wasn't it. This was a perturbing feeling. Like someone was in danger. But who?

The sound of a throat being clear had me spinning around.

A woman stood watching me.

I eyed her. Her long blonde hair had been braided and hung in front on her shoulder. Her heavy black eye shadow made her grey eyes darker. Her dainty lips were pulled in a tight line. This must be Jack.

I watched as she moved into the kitchen, the perturbing feeling intensifying the more she moved forward.

"Steve Rogers, ma 'am." Why did I feel the need to break the silence?

"Jack Trix." She replied as she dropped the keys on the counter and turned.

I watched her ?" Sam called, sticking his head in the doorway.

I nodded, unsettled by Sam's friend.

Jack came back in with a bag of groceries. I moved forward and took them from her.

Her grey eyes met mine. I could see the faint traces of blue in them. Her eyes narrowed and she turned again.

"I see you two have met." Sam commented dryly.

I turned to face him, "She's nice."

"Oh, she gets better with time. Doesn't like strangers."

"Then why'd she invite a bunch of them into her home?" I asked, placing the groceries on the counter.

Sam shrugged, "Jack is a bit contradicting; if I think about it. She has a huge heart, but hides in under her cold personality. She doesn't like strangers, but invites them into her home. She hates anything coffee, but leaves the coffee machine out even when it's just her."

"My mom always said to leave a bit of mystery in my life so that people never got bored."

Sam and I both turned as Jack shut the door.

She sets the second bag down as she raised a brow, "Are you bored? Or shall I confuse you more?"