three

When would the memories leave me? I see them everywhere. I see him, everywhere.

I knew that the man in front of me couldn't see my fear, my uneasiness, or my pain. I had mastered my expressions after...

But my eyes, I knew they could still speak. They told the painful truth. As much as I didn't want them to, I couldn't stop them.

"Jack, you've met Steve."

I nodded at the man again.

Sam eyed me, "You okay, Trix?"

"Never been better." My voice was monotone. No use telling him the truth.

Sam laughed, "I've missed you, Trix."

I cracked a smile. I owed him that much. Sam was Riley's best friend; Riley would scold me if I didn't open up a bit.

"Thank you for the use of your home."

I noticed his eyes shift briefly to my empty counter and bare shell of a kitchen, "No need to thank me."

He smiled at me, revealing a row of straight, white teeth. I closed my eyes, fighting back the horrid memories of... that night. This man, Steve, he didn't realize that pain he was causing me. The fear that would haunt me because of his face.

But I wouldn't tell Steve. I wouldn't add my tales, my pain, my story, to anyone else. It was my story. My pain. And I had to bare it alone.

"Jack?"

I opened my eyes, "I just am tired."

Sam stepped back, satisfied with my half-truth.

My eyes jumped to Steve.

He had a knowing look on his face. He had seen my slip-up. He knew I was hiding.

I looked away from him.

"Addie. You could have saved them."

I pushed away the haunting voice, "Is everyone settled in?"

Sam nodded, "The Bartons are in the back bedroom. The rest in the basement."

I nodded, "I'm heading to my room. See you in the morning."

"Sleep well." Sam called as I slipped past him. I heard a faint goodnight from Steve, but chose to ignore them both.

I moved through the living room and in to the hallway. I opened my bedroom door and stepped in.

My room held only my bed and a giant bean bag. I fell into it. There would be no sleeping for me tonight. Don't want to risk the nightmares. Risk someone hearing.

I leaned into the soft chair, my mind arguing the possibly of the man in the kitchen being related to him. Trent hadn't ever talked about his family. I had thought that they had passed away; but I knew now that he just didn't want me to be able to find him.

"Leave no trace. That's my life motto."

Steve looked frighteningly like him. So much so, that I had thought Steve was Trent at first glance. But a second glance told the truth. Steve's eyes were blue instead of green. Steve's blonde hair was lighter than Trent's. And he had a faint scar on his left cheek; Steve didn't.

But they could be related. I didn't know much about Steve Rogers, other than he was wanted by the government for treason.

I forced away my ugly thoughts. It wasn't nice to assume he was related to an evil man or that he was evil himself. Steve didn't deserve that.

But that didn't explain his eerie likeness to Trent.