seven

I eyed the man standing before me. His expression told of his guilt and sorrow, but I've learned that expressions can be faked.

"I... I'm sorry."

But the grief and sorrow in his voice couldn't be faked.

I didn't reply, but instead, relaxed my stance. I could tell he got the message. His head dipped. I nodded back.

Steve looked at the two of us, "Uhh..."

I held back a flinch at his expression; Why did I see Trent in Steve's every move?

Sam chuckles at us and Bucky glared at him. Sam stops; who wouldn't? He's the Winter Soldier.

We are all sitting in the living room, munching on the McDonald's I picked-up for breakfast. I didn't expect Bucky to apologize to me, but the man seemed sincere. Plus, I had already forgiven him earlier. It had to be hard living with the memories of everything you've done.

I lived with memories of things I should have done. And the people that suffered because of me.

"Jack?" I glanced at Clint, "Why was Lila sleeping on your doorstep?"

I shrugged, "My light was on; maybe she was scared."

Clint frowned and exchanged a look with Laura.

"I can't believe that I slept through all the excitement!"

I rolled my eyes at Scott. He thought he was funny, but it was really just sad.

"Cause it was totally exciting; being attacked by a one-armed man and losing to him." I replied, softening my harsh words with a teasing tone.

Sam glanced at me, amused, "Well, I'll be. Jack just teased you, Scott."

I glared at him, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It's been too long since I heard that Jack." Sam finished his muffin in one more bit, "I missed her."

His words closed that part of me. He sealed it up tight. I wasn't the same person he was remembering. I had changed. That girl was gone; and she wasn't coming back. She died the day Riley died. When I realized, that even if I had found another family, they weren't always going to be there. I was better off keeping everyone else out.

"Jack?"

I stood, "Excuse me."

I couldn't let them in. They would all leave in the end; And I would have no one to blame my aching heart on, but myself.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

The pain in Jack's eyes moved me.

She was hiding it from everyone; but should she? Should she carry that pain by herself? My gut told me to follow her, but the warning in Sam's eye stopped me.

"She is so different."

I caught Sam's quiet words, "What do you mean?"

"She was never this tight." Sam sighed, "I mean, she wouldn't speak to the Swifts when she first got here. Riley was able to get her to open up after the first few months."

I lifted my sandwich to my mouth, an excuse not to ask the obvious question.

"Trix was the Swift's foster kid. She was sixteen." Sam answered.

A knock sounded. We all froze.

Jack came out of the kitchen and gave us a look.

Let me handle this.

She unlocked the dead bolt and swung open the door, "Can I help you?"

"Yeah, I'm looking for some friends of mine." Answered the familiar voice.

I relaxed.

Jack didn't answer.

Scott stood and moved towards the door, "How did these pretty ladies find us?"

Clint groaned and Laura hid a grin.

Natasha stepped into the house, Wanda following her, "Very funny, Lang."

Jack closed the door, her eyes alert and aware.

I stood, "Jack, this is Natasha and Wanda."

"I figured it out." She replied quietly.

"Nat, Wanda, Jack Trix. She has allowed us to use her home for the time being." I watched as Jack gave them a curt nod and folded her arms over her chest.

Natasha and Wanda moved deeper into bare house, the rest of the gang greeting them.

"This isn't good."

I turned to face Jack, "Excuse me?"

She met my gaze, "You should have told them to come to the back door. Or better, wait til dark. Now my neighbors could say that they saw people around my house."

She was right. If someone saw Natasha or Wanda and recognized them. We could all be in danger of being caught.

"We need to go." I voiced my thoughts.

"We can't."

"Why?" I asked Natasha, "You could have lead anyone right to us."

Her face hardened, "I did what you asked, Steve. What Bucky asked. And if I can find you, so can anyone else."

I groaned, "That's great."

Silence reigned throughout the house for a moment.

"What did he say?"

I glanced at Buck. He wasn't looking at me, but at Natasha.

She nodded, "He'll help you."

Relief shot across Buck's face for a moment, then his cool mask dropped back into place. T'Challa would help him.

"So when can we expect more guests?"