twenty three: the deal

"No one will ever offer you a better deal. You'd get your old life back!" He yelled at me as I kept my head in my arms which I rested on the cold table. The fact that I didn't look up at him when he spoke agitated him, so naturally I continued to do so.

He slammed his hands down on the table in anger as a smile grew on my face. I kept my head down in my arms in hopes that through all of his frustration he would tell me something more.

We had been here for what felt like hours as I could feel myself grow to be physically exhausted.

Janson was strange. He offers me my 'old job' back, but refuses to tell me what it is. Why?

"LOOK AT ME." He screamed as he shoved himself back down in his seat. And finally, for the first time in probably thirty minutes, I lifted my head off the table to look at the man in front of me. His face was filled with rage but as soon as his eyes met mine, he seemed to calm down slightly.

"Y/n, I'm not going to say it again. You can have everything you ever loved back. Your whole entire life before all of this and your memories back if you just say yes. Say yes to working for us again." He looked tired as he huffed out his last few words. I watched him carefully, as I sighed and sat up a bit to answer.

"I'm not going to say it again. I need to know what that means before I agree to anything. So, if you won't tell me anything, then you've got your fucking answer." I spat angrily as I watched his irritation return quickly. He slammed his hands down on the table again in anger as he pulled his fingers through his hair to calm himself down.

"Look, okay, it's late. Get some sleep and think it over, and we'll talk tomorrow. We can grab you some food in the morning also." He sat down carefully, keeping his voice low and calm.

"I'm going to need more information before I change my mind." I hissed quietly, but this time he didn't get angry. "Understood." Was all he said before he nodded at the guards again, as they grabbed me swiftly by the arms and dragged me out of my chair.

"Take her to her room."

The men didn't let go once, as they opened the door and led me down the corridor. None of them spoke to me, they didn't even look in my direction before finally we reached another door. They punched four numbers into the keypad on the right before it flashed green. One of them grabbed the handle as it opened with a click.

Once it was open, they let go and just stood there, not saying a word. They aren't the chattiest, but honestly, I don't mind as I'm not majorly either. I peered into the room as I saw a singular bed, a toilet and no windows. If anything, it looked almost like a prison cell.

I stepped into the room slowly and before I could even turn around, they slammed the door behind me.

Great, well I guess I'm stuck in here.

--

Even with being absolutely exhausted, I still didn't get much sleep. I just laid there, Janson's words repeating in my mind.

I desperately tried to piece everything together; I worked with them, but not like Thomas and Teresa. I have the same mark as Janson, but the others don't seem to have it. He wants me to work with them again, but what was it that I did before? And why won't he tell me? Now that I know that they're WICKED, will they kill me if I don't join them? Is joining them my only option?

Why was I put into the maze?

I was suddenly snapped out of my thoughts as a loud click came from the door as it slowly creaked open. I sat up quickly, watching whoever it was that opened it.

Of course, it was Janson. I sighed at the sight of his face as I slumped back down into the bed. He brought multiple guards with him this time, as I could see them through the crack in the door.

"Come on, time to go." He leaned against the door, waiting for me to get up and join them. I stayed put as I exhaled loudly.

"I'm not going wherever you want me to go. I don't join forces with psychopaths." He chuckled lowly before walking over to the bed and kneeling down next to me. It was so hard not to look at him, but every time I did my eyes just reverted back to his. "You don't have a choice, sweetheart." I narrowed my eyes at the man, anger bubbling up again in my chest as he nodded towards the men behind him.

They leaned forward and yanked me out of bed, almost taking me by surprise at how easy it was for them. As they loosened their grip on my arms, they raised their guns at me. "Is this really necessary?" As soon as the words left my mouth, my mind went back to the Glade, when Teresa had said the exact same thing to Gally after getting me out of the pit. Ironic, really.

Janson ignored my question and marched out of the room, indicating for me to do the same as the soldiers led me out. I examined them all carefully, trying to find the same mark I had when actually, they all wore jackets. If they did have it, it wasn't as if they could go parading it around. The others still don't know.

Shit. The others. Where are they?

"Where are the others?" I asked Janson while his back was still turned to me. He continued to walk and only answered once we reached the same room we were in before.

"They're having breakfast." He said as he ushered me to sit down again. "Here, you must be starving." There was actual food on the table. It looked so delicious. Toast, fruit, pastries, the lot. I sat down immediately as I realised how hungry I actually was. I didn't care if it was poisoned (as that thought actually crossed my mind) as I just began devouring.

I didn't even notice Janson sitting down in front of me as another man I didn't recognise entered the room. I glanced over quickly at him before looking at the food again. He was dressed reasonably casually, just like Janson; however, he wore a suit jacket and a tie. He looked about 30 years old, however his stressed demeanor could mean he was younger, he just might not look it.

The man hesitated slightly by the door before he moved further into the room as Janson sat in the chair opposite me. He just watched me eat as I refused to meet his gaze, still guzzling the food down. "Y/n..." he began as I lifted my eyes off the apple I was eating for a second, to look at him. "This is Mr. Lynch. He's here to fill in for me while I make the morning announcements in the dining area." He said slowly as my eyes trailed off his to look at the man. I narrowed my gaze as he stood there looking at me. I kept my expression cold like I always did and turned back to the food. Janson just sighed at my lack of response and rolled his eyes. "There is one other thing though..." He looked slightly nervous as I saw Lynch move forward a single step. He too looked nervous.

"We have to cuff you to the table, as the guards have to come with me." He said slowly as my head shot up in anger. The man moved forward again, reaching for the handcuffs from his pocket and bringing them in front of him to show me. I slammed my hands down on the table and stood up abruptly. "What the fuck? No, you're not cuffing me to this table." I didn't even get a chance to move as the guards forcefully shoved me down back into my seat.

"Y/n, we don't have a choice. It's for both of your protection." The fury grew inside me as I glared at both of the men in front of me. "Protection? You have got to be joking." I scoffed as I shook my head in disbelief. Janson sighed again as he moved towards the door, indicating for the soldiers behind me to do the same.

He put his hand on the door but before leaving he turned back to look at the two of us. "We can talk later." And with that, he left, with his little posy right on his heels.

"Right, well, let's get started, shall we?" 

-

A/N: Thank you guys so much for 1.1k it genuinely means so much <33 Also, as far as i can remember, Lynch isn't an actual character so i just had to make him up so i hope that's okay :) Anyways, have a good day x