CHAPTER III

Today, Maya would take a training test to maybe become captain later on. She felt stressed out but confident. She is now on her way to where it takes place. On the site she recognizes many of her fellow firefighters from other stations the city is home to. Soon enough she was called to team up with two guys and next thing you know she was already put on test in a burnt down building where she had to rescue a dummy. She successfully passed the test. Her joy fast enough stifled by the hearing of a familiar voice. She turned around to face the person shouting her name. 'Dad?' she mumbled. 'My girl ! I knew you could do it, I taught you so well.'

/!\ T/W : child abuse scroll to the next /!\ if sensitive. Don't worry it'll still make sense.

Our firefighter was confused by why her dad was here and how he even knew about this. 'What are you doing here?' is all she could think about. 'I came to see my bounties ! Come on hug daddy.' He was stopped by one of the staff member asking him to back off because this was a private scene. Maya figured out it was best making her way to him herself to avoid any kind of trouble. She approached him as he took her into his arms. 'I'm proud of me' he whispered. Maya let go of him not knowing what to answer. She knew her father was egocentric and thought her achievements were his without considering the hard work she was putting into everything. 

They stayed silent for what seemed forever when the blonde girl thought this was a mistake and it was wiser to go back among the rest of the group when he harshly grabbed her wrist taking the bracelet she had around it in the way. 'AH, what do you want' fear showing in her eyes. He had tendencies to be violent towards her no matter what would surround them, in other words, he had no shame in public. 'You'd better come back captain next time I come to your station kid'. Meanwhile Maya didn't try to fight back, she simply agreed and felt a second hand embarrassment as she felt the other firefighters starring. 

The the urge to cry was building up.

/!\ it's safer :)

After the unfortunate event and the scene caused by her abusive dad, Maya heading straight back to station 19 not wanting to feel sorry for herself. She tried her best not to let her feelings get in the way yet her teammates felt the tension from when she entered the station until she locked herself up in one of the bedrooms not mentioning how her test went. Andy worried knocked on the door. Maya didn't respond. She knew she had to let her some space until she would be ready to talk.

It's only an hour later that Maya left the tiny space no longer wearing the bracelet she had around her wrist that her dad grabbed earlier. She said goodnight to the others then drove to the basketball court near her house. She needed to let everything go and sport is a way to let off steams to Maya.

As she started to play she heard a car's motor stopping by. She looked in its direction only to notice Carina. 

'That's such an unexpected time and place to finally get to meet your path Kobe Bryant. If i had known, I would have came here sooner' the woman joked.

'Carina, hi, what are you doing here !?' Maya felt some kind of relief as the woman in front of her got out of the car. 

'I actually live near the boulevard, but what are YOU doing here !'

'What ? Really ? That's crazy, I live down there' Bishop replied pointing out a certain direction.

'Well... I guess we could actually have the opportunity to see each other more often actually..... So, you play basketball huh ?'

'Oh, hum yeah, sorry I'm not presentable right now'

'No that's actually cool, I was so good at it in high school'

'Wanna play ?' she immediately almost regretted her proposition to the brunette by how silly this sounded.

'Hell yeah' the doctor answered exited 'but don't cry if I beat you up' she teased.

'Ahah I'd like to see that'

Suddenly it felt like Maya had forgotten about any kind of anger issue or sadness she was going through barely 10 minutes ago. The sky was pink as the sun was going down, birds were singing in the trees and in the air was floating a cool but comfortable breeze. Carina didn't lie, she could actually play basketball. She was giving in everything avoiding Maya to put the ball into the basket. It was easier for her than for Maya since she was really tall but the tiny one didn't give up, she was determined to win.

At one point, the blonde girl, ball in hand was facing the brunette. She was so close to the basket she just had to be strategic and fool her. She faked going to the left to finally go to the right. Of course Carina was fast to understand and moved to the right to stop the blonde girl, Maya failed and bumped into her. 

Deluca grabbed her waist to stop her from falling 'we have to stop meeting like this' she laughed.

All Danielle could do was blush nervously at the hands placement. Blue eyes meeting brown eyes in the light of the sunset, fast heartbeats to be heard still recovering from the exercise, fresh air brushing past their skin. Carina felt Maya shiver. She let go of her to grab the sweater she dropped on the floor earlier to hand it to the firefighter 'here, cover up, it's starting to get cold and from what I know you're only used to fires'. Maya felt a little awkward by the kid treatment but took it 'what about you ?' she eventually asked. 'I'm used to the morgue'. Maya froze, her mouth dropped open as she raised an eyebrow in confusion. 'Sorry....that was a bad joke but you should see your face right now' Carina laughed soon followed by Maya.

Bishop put on the sweater and closed her eyes a second as she could smell Carina's perfume on it. It was sweet yet strong. 

'Yves Saint-Laurent' she said in a sexy french accent.

'What?' Maya replied embarrassed wishing she could evaporate right now.

'My perfume' she chuckled starring at the tiny one dead in the eyes.

'Ooh, it's- it's... it's great, yeah I- I like it' she started to play with her own fingers looking everywhere but back at the woman in front of her.

Carina smirked at the nervousness she found quite adorable. 'I should probably go now, I'm on night shift. Thank you Maya, if was fun time. I'll see you around'

'It was fun, have a nice night at work' she finally replied more comfortable.

***

Maya felt way better and thankful for Carina's arrival as for Carina, she was all smiley and ready to start her night shift in a good spirit.

As much as they'd want to admit it, Carina and Maya would cross each other's mind a lot after that little hour spent together and both women were already craving for more of their respective presence. Maya would look back at how awkward Carina made her feel yet it wasn't the same awkward as the afternoon she had with her dad. It was a surprisingly funny and mysterious awkward.

𓆉 Hi ! I told you it would be sweeter this time. Thank you for reading.