t w o ↣ vendetta

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

M E G A N

Although finally getting to take a nap on top of a real mattress, I still somehow wake up disturbed and ungrateful.

It's hard to fathom that I'm finally out of that storage room. And my first thought upon waking up is that it's even harder to imagine that I'll probably live the rest of my short life entrapped in this facility used by outsiders to create a safe haven.

I sit up from my much needed rest and notice the daylight still pouring in from outside. Quietly, I make my way out of the wide double doors and exit the corridor.

The field—still scattered with the bodies of the dead—disturbs me, even though the people around me seem to have grown accustomed to it.

I see a woman, one that was in the man's cell earlier and the Asian man, who was also a witness to the scene Carl caused, at the cell. The only two people who've managed to not intimidate or threaten me.

I walk towards them from across the field, all the way to their position against the fence. Hesitantly, I make my way in between the two fences and walk up to them.

The gravel crunching underneath my feet instills a guilty feeling inside me, considering I'd never been allowed to roam beyond the first fence.

"This is completely sane." I hear the Asian man speak to the woman, while looking at a walker through the fence.

"I need the practice." The woman says, not noticing me walking up behind her.

The man, however, sees me and switches his gaze from the woman, to me.

"What's it like?"

"Usually I like to know peoples' names before we trek to survive together." The man says, smiling at me awkwardly but also squinting from the sun.

He goes to extend a bloody hand out towards me, but—upon my hesitance—realizes why I don't shake it. "I'm Glenn, and this is Carol." He says, motioning to the lady.

I shift my weight from one leg to the other. "Megan."

I look around, noticing some of the the walkers' futile attempts to try and get to us through the fence.

"Well, Megan," Glenn starts. "Carol and I are clearing the fences." He says looking to Carol.

"You could join us if you'd like," She says, looking at the walkers. "Killing them through the fence could be a good way to warm up to it." She says.

I look around at the bodies of the dead that they've already put down.

"I can't imagine how you must feel." Glenn says. "Being locked up in prison and then having to stay inside to keep the end of the world on the outside." He takes his metal rod that he's holding and sticks one end in the gravel.