t w e n t y - f i v e ↣ allegiance

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

M E G A N

The sun threatens to rise, sending pink light through the infirmary windows.

Alexandria's streets remain motionless as no one besides myself has woken up. Tara—the woman I still haven't yet spoken to—lies unconscious, still breathing, as I'd made sure to check her vitals immediately after my arrival.

I decided to begin my shift early in order to clean up what evidence I'd left after I forced Ron to come here last night. The boy was scared to receive treatment for his bruise in the place his father spent the most of his time. He didn't want Pete to know that I knew.

I, however, wanted the boy's father to know that I know what a piece of shit he is. But after a promise to the desperate, scared boy, it'd been established that I'm not allowed to do that.

Ron ended up letting me in on everything.

This'd been going on for a long while. Then, I was able to put two and two together. He'd also been doing the same to Jessie. And Rick had taken notice. After coming to the realization of what the two adults were so urgently discussing in the garage, I decided against telling Ron about them.

This family needs help, and although Rick and I don't usually see eye to eye, he could be the one to help them. Although, his motives with Jessie may not be entirely due to his responsibility as our new constable.

I screw the cap back on the bottle of acetaminophen, of which I'd given a few to Ron, without writing it down on the checklist. Luckily, the anti-inflammatory medication is something that the run groups happen to find quite a lot of. Pete most likely wouldn't notice. And if he does notice, I won't hesitate to deal with it.

I place the bottle back in the medicine cabinet and twist my key in the lock. My actions move gently as to not disturb Tara as she remains unconscious in the bed against the wall. Then, I swipe my hands across the sheets on one of the beds, smoothing out the wrinkles from when Ron previously sat on them.

A creak sounds out from the direction of the front door, sending a shiver down my spine. The one person I was disgusted with. Someone who had me—as well as all of Alexandria—fooled. I stand tall, leaning away from the bed and turning around, ready to face the monster I'd been working with for weeks.

"Hey." Enid says, looking confused at the tense look on my face. The new sound of her unfamiliar voice, easing my creeping anticipation.