t w e n t y - t h r e e ↣ tummy-ache

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

M E G A N

People chatter and low music plays as I enter the welcoming party alongside the four Andersons. More anxiousness courses through my veins than I'd felt when approaching my own welcoming party.

This time, Pete accompanies us as to welcome all the new people he hasn't met before. Sam, of course, wanders off, his familiar stamp in-hand. I turn my palm upside down, looking at the faded, red ink I'd refused to wash off. The silly memory behind it being something I won't be ready to wash away until Carl is back, safe.

Jessie and Pete quickly leave Ron and I as they go mingle with all the new adults. The room being a filled with several faces that are completely new to the sheltered Alexandrians.

It seems like a given that I'd like to be here to celebrate the arrival of the new people. My people.

But after I made the decision yesterday to take Daryl to the side and ask for closure about why he was with those men, I'd gotten the horrifying answers that my people were dancing around giving me.

I felt like doing anything but celebrating during this moment.

From the man, I gathered that the group believes that Carl and I got separated from them during what happened at the prison.

The one that had fallen at the hands of the governor. Hershel being collateral damage of his ongoing dispute with Rick. He then told me how he lost Beth and wound up grouping with those men. After, he explained what happened with the cannibals from Terminus, where he'd met Rosita, Tara, Eugene and Abraham. After leaving the place to burn, the group then stayed in a church, shown to them by Father Gabriel, the creepy, awkward man dignified by the word of God. Also, the same holy place where Bob died. He then told me what happened to Beth at the hospital and how he'd come across her friend Noah. The boy had taken the group to his old community, where Tyreese was bitten. After his death, the group resided in a barn, where Aaron had found them.

And Carl has no idea about any of it. When he comes back, I'll have to be the one to break the several layers of sad news.

What happened in between when Carl and I left, and what went down with the governor, I'll never know. Daryl assumed that I was there to witness it all. But for now, I'm thankful that the group has no idea of what Carl and I did. It'd be up to the boy if he wanted to tell them.