f o r t y - o n e ↣ irish goodbye

┌───────────────────────────┐

└───────────────────────────┘

M E G A N

A tear falls onto the aged, wrinkled sheet that holds the detrimental words that have been sitting still for years upon years. However, the tear isn't mine, as I've so far managed to keep my emotions underway, for the sake of the emotional child underneath my arm.

Judith's body shakes with a gentle cry, as her gaze stays locked on the letter. All this time apart from the girl has somehow made me forget what exactly she'd lost, that day. Guilt courses through my veins at my overwhelming urge to cry, considering my composure is the only thing keeping her few tears from turning into a sob.

As the adult in the situation, my grievance can wait. Just like Carl would've wanted, my job, in this moment, is to be fun Aunt Meg—to be there for the girl when she experiences every ugly part about this world.

"Carl spent his entire last day just having fun with you," I start. My arm squeezes Judith tighter, as she leans her head on my collarbone. Her sheriff's hat falls off, in the process, landing on the floor with a soft thud. "He really loved you, Jude."

The girl sniffles, removing her head from the crook of my neck. She looks me in the eyes, her own quickly filling with tears, as I move a piece of her tussled hair behind her ear. "Carl really loved you too, Aunt Meg."

My overwhelming urge to cry instantly turns into a stiff battle to keep my tears down. The backs of my eyes grow heavier and heavier, as my mouth gapes open.

The words spoken from the lips of a sad child, seem to carry me through the entire spectrum of human emotion. It's almost as if, for all of this time, my body has yearned to feel this way—to feel these emotions and this comfort. Judith says words that strike the same chord as the words of her brother used to, as she speaks for him.

I can mutter no response, as my lip begins to quiver. My facade begins to crumble, just before the young girl, as the strength I've tried to convey becomes overpowered by the sad eyes of Judith Grimes.

But just before my building tears begin to fall, the front door to the house opens. Enid walks out into the living room, wearing an urgency about her. "Judith, your mom's out there looking for you."

"Okay," The girl mutters. She then wraps her tiny arms around my upper body, giving me a tight squeeze before releasing me and picking up her hat, placing it back on top of her head. "I'll save you a seat at the movie tonight, Aunt Meg."