I Could've Been a Student, Too! (Female reader x Enjolras)

You were a frequent patron of the weekend rallies held by Les Amis de L'ABC.  You were learning to read French, as you were the first in your family to learn how to read.  Living on the streets, this meant scouring the signs of the various buildings...like that one magical day when you discovered the importance of the words Café Musain.  This also meant every rally you attended, you always stayed after to get ahold of any pamphlets Enjolras or the others had written.  You were partial to the pamplets Enjolras wrote, because he wrote the most beautiful words...

Anyway, where were you?  Ah, yes, the rally had just ended and you hurried to an already-forming line in front of Combeferre, who was handing out this week's pamphlet.

You felt a quiet hand on your shoulder as you waited in line.

"Bonjour, (Y/N), how are you faring today?  I haven't seen you much about."

You smirked, and turned to face Enjolras.  Could he have been...worried about you?  Not in that way, of course, rather, he must have found out through Combeferre that you were living on the streets.  You flushed at this, but quickly recovered and spoke, smiling, to reassure him:

"Here, you can always catch me in..."

"Mind the police don't catch you out," muttered Enjolras under his breath, scanning the crowd for a sign of danger.  Aw, how cute you thought, annoyed.  Combeferre had told him you were living on the streets.

You noticed him holding three books under one arm - Robespierre was one, Waterloo: A History was another, and...could that be some Rousseau?  You rolled your eyes, and got his attention with: "Here, whatcha' do with all those books?  I could've been a student, too!"

He huffed and turned to leave with a roll of his eyes.  You stamped gently on his shiny black boot, stopping him.  "Don't judge a girl by how she looks...I know a lot of things, I do!"

He looked down at your dirty bare foot atop his polished boot and gently pulled his boot free.  "Gracious, (Y/N), the things you know..." he thought for a moment, then continued as you moved up the line.  "You wouldn't find in books like these..."

A gust of wind blew a lock of his blonde hair across his brow, and as he huffed again, annoyed, you took a hand and brushed it aside, tucking it behind his ear.  "I like the way you grow your hair," you grinned.

He scoffed.  "I like the way you always tease.  Give Combeferre my regards."  He nodded in farewell, then walked away, in the direction of the Musain.  You knew where you were headed next...

Combeferre cleared his throat.  *Ahem.*

Well whoopsie - you had reached the front of the line.  

"Je suis désolé, M. Combeferre.  How are you faring today?"

"Swell, just swell," he said, clearly busy and in a rush, having no time to talk to a street girl like you.  

But he would learn.  They all would.

As you took your pamphlet and began to turn away, Combeferre called after you: "You know, (Y/N), Enjolras doesn't just randomly come up and start talking to just anyone!"

You laughed.  "Little he knows, M. Combeferre.  Little he sees."

He called back, "Call me 'Ferre!"

You called back, smirking, "Call me (nickname)!"

Combeferre raised a hand in farewell.

And you headed toward the direction of the Musain.