For Thee and Only Thee Part XI

"(Y/N), what are you doing back here?" probed the eldest in your community, Aloise.

"I listened to you, Aloise, I promise I did. I carried you with me. And...there's going to be meetings in the square, so it will be accessible to all! So that other people like us can rise up and hear the words of the future. I was going to be planning it...at least I thought I was. Now nothing makes sense."

"Come eat with us, (Y/N), and tell us what troubles you," was the wise woman's response.

As you grabbed your community's usual dinner of stale bread, you noticed someone was missing. "Where is Célestine? Where are her children?"

Aloise's face brightened. "Why, Monsieur Valjean got her a job as a manager in Avignon. She moved into an apartment there with the little ones and is out of her desperate situation."

You couldn't hold back your sobs, as this good news made your own troubles seem foolish and miniscule. One of your sisters in the community had broken free and could finally spread her wings.

Later, after Aloise tucked the little ones into bed, she came back to tend the fire in the now empty gathering circle and to speak with you. "Monsieur Valjean is finding a job for everyone, and is living up to his promise. I couldn't be happier."

"What about you, though?"

"Ah, yes. I told him, take me last. I was born on these streets, and so, if life's plan holds for me a different outlook than Monsieur Valjean's, so will I lay to rest on these streets that birthed me and raised me."

You hugged the older woman, and your grief was replaced with the love and pride only felt within your community. "I'm going to get you out of here, Aloise. I promise." And then Monsieur Valjean's words floated through your memory, replaced by your last conversation with Enjolras.

A promise is a very great thing, (Y/N).

"Come to the Musain at 8:30 PM sharp. You must promise me you will come."

You had broken your promise to Enjolras...

The look on your face worried Aloise. "Tell me everything, child."

You started from the very beginning.

Once you finished, Aloise had a coy look in her eye. "And you're going to let that stop your planning, oui?  Going to let his jealousy get in the way. I want you to find out exactly what Monsieur Enjolras thinks, because the way he was looking at you with such admiration the other day, (Y/N)?  You don't have anything to worry about. I sense great moral integrity in that man's spirit. And your friend Grantaire will come to his senses...just give it a bit of time. He is hurt. Jealousy is a wild beast, a razor-sharp knife tearing at his heart."

"But he was my best friend, and the things coming out of his mouth..."

"That was not him speaking, (Y/N). Once he has calmed down, hold him accountable to it! For that was not his real heart speaking, only the knife of jealousy. He will heal, in time, and so will you."

You thought you saw a familiar silhouette walking toward you and Aloise, and you zoned out a bit as you tried to see if you were right.

"...and don't you ever forget the power that the streets have given you," Aloise continued. "Use this power, and win."

"Yes. I will," was your response. "I promise."

A promise is a very great thing, (Y/N).

"Aloise," spoke one of the elders, Pierre, from the shadows. "Someone is here to see (Y/N)."

Aloise raised an eyebrow at you, then winked as a tall figure dressed in a red tailcoat stepped into the light of the fire.