For Thee, and Only Thee Part VII

Enjolras blinked in surprise. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything. Start from the very beginning."

"Are you taking advantage of my having to remain here this evening, (Y/N)?"

"No, because now that I'm here to supervise, you could leave at any time."

Enjolras crossed his arms and huffed.

"Or are you too afraid to have a woman all alone in a big building all by herself," you challenged.

"I am not used to such boldness," replied Enjolras honestly.

"I think you are, Enjolras...the way Courfeyrac was acting the other day. The women that travel in his circles aren't representative of most women in Paris...women like me who have been hardened by our oppression and want real change."

The corner of Enjolras's mouth quirked. He seemed...impressed? If that was possible? "Very well. Please follow me."

You eagerly followed him back up the steps. He paused in the back room only to grab a candle from the table, then led you through the hallway and up to a hidden staircase you hadn't noticed before.

"Should've known there was a way to get to the third floor," you commented.

He led the way, and you had to stay close to the light so you could see.

The third floor consisted of one door at the end of a small and dusty hallway.

"Are we even supposed to be up here? Seems like no one has been here in centuries!" you commented.

He smirked. "Only Combeferre and Courfeyrac have been up here. Madame does not know., and neither do the rest of Les Amis de L'ABC."

You couldn't help but gape.

"Please watch for holes in the floorboards," commented Enjolras, limberly heading toward the door. He slowly opened it and a cloud of dust rose from the floor as the door creaked open.

You peered into the darkness and as Enjolras led you around the perimeter of the room, your breath caught in your throat.

The room was about the same size as the ABC meeting space. Papers littered the floor and several large red flags draped across the walls, so big they covered almost an entire wall. Old uniforms were tossed in a corner, and banners were scattered across various tables - Liberte ou la Mort! - Liberté Égalité, Fraternité - and a copy of Liberty Leading the People.

"Oh no, not another room for me to clean," you joked, and you heard a wheeze next to you that you realized was his laugh. "What is this place?" you pressed. "Where'd you get all this stuff?"

"Have you heard of General Lamarque?"

"Of course, he's the only one left in the government who still cares about the people."

"Indeed. He is a great man. When he moved up in rank within the government, Les Amis de L'ABC had already established a good relationship with him. He needed a place besides his home to store these relics from past revolutions."

"You know him that well?"

"He is a mentor of sorts."

You made a sound of excitement. You went to the nearest table and sifted through the papers. "There's sheet music here - old protest marches!" You gazed up at Enjolras, who was gently smiling, arms crossed. "I forgot - you already know. It's good to see you smile."

"Even Combeferre was not this excited to look at the relics," spoke Enjolras. "You remind me of my younger self, two years ago, unable to believe the general was allowing me to touch such important moments of history."