Sorry - Diluc x Reader

Summary: You were implanted with a ticking time bomb by "Them", set to detonate Mondstadt in a beam of light. Diluc is faced with two choices: allow you to destroy Mondstadt, or kill you.

Genre: Angst

Warnings: Blood, death

Diluc was working an early evening shift at the Angel's Share. During a slow period, he absentmindedly glanced out the window, but what he saw made him drop the glass in his hand. It shattered onto the ground.

A beam of light piercing through the sky. The blood froze in his veins.

No no no. This can't be happening.

He burst out of the tavern, his heart beating uncontrollably in his ears. As he turned the corner, he held his breath, hoping to Barbatos this was not what he thought it was.

But he was correct, and was now face-to-face with his worst nightmare.

You were standing in the middle of the street, staring at your glowing hands in astonishment. Slumped on the ground around you were other shoppers, who had been unfortunate enough to be near you when your powers awoke. You raised your head to meet the terrified eyes of your lover.

Despite the fact you were trembling in fear, you smiled, relieved to see your boyfriend. "Diluc," you greeted him, despite the blood dripping down your chin from the corners of your mouth.

Diluc did not respond, his eyes wide in open-mouthed horror. His sword was drawn, but it lay limp by his side.

"I guess...ugh...it's finally waking up. That...that thing They implanted into me." You could feel the energy fizzing at the bottom of your stomach, knowing soon it will boil over into the world. You coughed, blood splattering onto the ground. "Sorry...guess it's already starting."

"This can't be happening," Diluc choked, stumbling towards you. The closer he got, the dizzier he became—whether it was because of you or the fear squeezing his neck, he was unsure. "I always thought...I always thought we'd have more time."

You forced a sad smile. "I'm sorry, my love. I thought so too." You coughed out more blood, colouring the cobblestone streets in red. "But it's great you're here. I wanted to thank you. This time I spent with you...I was so happy."

"No!" Diluc shouted. "Don't act like you're going to die. Albedo will find a way to fix you, just hold on for a little longer! Just—"

"Diluc." You cut him off. "We both...we both know there's no time for that."

"There has to be some other way..." Diluc whispered. You reached for his hand—it sent electric shocks through Diluc's body—and pulled him towards you, leaning his forehead against yours.

"There isn't. If you want to save Mondstadt..." You closed your eyes, savouring what you knew would be the last time you would feel your lover's warmth. "Then kill me."

Diluc shut his eyes, tears escaping down his cheeks but evaporating almost instantly due to his proximity to you. It was a wonder he wasn't burning up—a resistance thanks to his vision.

"I love you," he breathed. "Now and forever. I promise...I won't let Mondstadt forget about you."

"I love you too," you responded. "Live long for me, okay?"

It physically hurt him to have to tear away from you, but he knew time was running out. He gripped his claymore tightly and raised it above his head. His hands were trembling.

"Goodbye, my love," Diluc whispered. "I'll try to make it quick."

You could no longer feel your body, but you were able to smile at him as he swung down.