Master Chef - Diluc x Reader

A/N: Happy birthday, Diluc! >w<

Adelinde is going to freak out, you thought as you stared at the mess in horror.

The steak you had made was so charred it might as well be ash, half of it still stuck in the pan because you could not scrape it off. The potatoes were boiled to mush. The collard greens had become collared yellows, the leaves slick with the oil you rushed to pour in after you realized you had forgotten it when you first put it in the pan. The sad excuse for food did not match the ornate plate it sat on, your last-ditch attempt to dress it up. Even the most senior food artist would not be able to save this failure.

The timer let out a ding, and you felt a flicker of hope as you rushed to open the oven door. Maybe the cake will turn out well!

It did not. When you tried to stab a toothpick through the middle to check its doneness, the outer crust did not budge, no matter how hard you pushed. You threw the useless stick of wood in the trash—the cake had to be okay, right?

Maybe it's not too late to order takeout, you thought, sighing as you rubbed your temples. Right when you took off your apron, ready to head to the Good Hunter, you heard the front door open.

You jumped to your feet. Grabbing the plate, you frantically searched for a place to hide it. But before you could chuck the contents under the sink, your partner walked into the kitchen.

Diluc was looking at the floor as he massaged the back of his neck. "Did something burn, love? It smells like—oh." He stopped talking when he laid eyes on the charred meat, vegetables, and embarrassment of a cake.

"It's-It's nothing!" You could not look him in the eye. "I was just...I'm going to the Good Hunter. You like Pile 'Em Up, right? I'll get a cake on the way, so just wait here."

"No need." Diluc grabbed your shoulder before you could rush out of the kitchen. "You already made dinner, right? I'll eat it."

"You really don't have to. I'm sure you won't like it," you protest, watching as Diluc set the plate on the table.

"How can I not enjoy something my lover made for me?" he asked, the softness of his words smothering your objections. You watched as he sawed off a chunk of meat and pop it into his mouth. He chewed for a long time before finally swallowing.

"How is it?" You asked nervously as he wiped his mouth with a napkin.

He beckoned you closer. You leaned in, curious. To your surprise, his arms looped around your waist and he pulled you towards him, nuzzling your chest.

"It was delicious," he murmured. "Thank you."

Taken off-guard, you blinked at him. This was rare. His face was hidden from view, and all you could see was his fluffy red hair. From this angle, he looked like a kid again.

Maybe he actually liked it...? you thought. You placed your hands on his back, leaning down to kiss his hair. He must have been able to feel the way your lips upturned in a sheepish but pleased smile. "Happy birthday, Diluc. I love you."

"I love you too. Although..." He lifted his head, resting his chin against your body as he looked at you with large, cherry-red eyes. "You should probably leave the cooking to me next time."

"Hey!" You pushed him off of you, crossing your arms.

"I'm kidding, dear," he chuckled as he straightened up.

"You better be."

"Please leave the cooking to Adelinde."

"Diluc Ragnvindr, I'm going to kill you!"