Chapter 36

I'm jolted awake as the plane readies for landing. The wheels skid against the landing strip, and my body jostles side to side. The flight attendant thanks us for flying, sharing his final piece of advice that overhead luggage may have had a party of its own during our flight – so to be sure to open overhead bins slowly.

I yank the headphones from my ears and pull out my phone. I power it back to life, and a ball of nervous excitement collects at the pit of my stomach. I haven't been back in five months. 153 days to be exact, but hey. Who's counting?

It's been 153 days since I've heard Gigi's slippers scuff across the wooden floorboards of the hallway. That's how long it's been since I've seen my buddies, coaxing a dimple-showing smile from Casper or listening to Mike's howling laughter from one of his (wildly inappropriate) jokes.

And that's how long it's been since I've been in the physical presence of the man I love.

A myriad of texts are waiting for me, and I can't help but grin like a fool reading through them all.

Bobby: Just got notified that your flight landed. Text me when you're home and settled. Missed you at the gym today!

Mom: Welcome home, sweetie! We can't wait to see you!

Dad: Get home soon, please. Your mother is driving me crazy.

Gigi: EEEEP!!!! I can't wait to see you! We're parked right outside baggage claim!

Mike: Your sister hasn't shut up about you coming home all week. Tell me you're ready to party dude. Got Radik's cabin for the weekend.

Hunter: Welcome home stud!

Casper: Welcome home, looking forward to seeing you at Radik's :)

Dakota: Good to have you back, man.

The contrast of their messages coaxes a laugh from me. If someone would have told me months ago that I'd be eager to come back to this town after being in California, I would've called their bluff. Yet here I am, knees bouncing, and a smile stretched across my lips.

"You here on vacation? Visiting family?" the middle-aged woman asks beside me.

She glances down the long aisle of passengers slowly getting to their feet.

"Just getting back from vacation, actually," I answer. And then I surprise myself by saying, "this is home."

She looks at me and offers a kind smile. "Can't say I ever enjoy coming back from vacation. But in any case, welcome home."

"Thanks," I say. "It's good to be back."

And I mean it.

________________________

I spot Mike before I spot Gigi. His ginormous frame is sticking out of my sister's (and my) car, waving his arms around like a human version of an inflatable wacky waving tube man. I smirk and give him a nod of acknowledgement. At this, he cups his hands around his mouth and bellows.

"Broncs! My duuuuuuuuuude!!!"

I chuckle and shake my head, ignoring the nosy stares of onlookers. My sister is out of the car a second later. Her slender figure weaves in and out of the crowd until she crashes against me, her arms engulfing me in one of those bone-crushing hugs that only sisters can do.

"I've missed you so much," she cries into my shirt.

I awkwardly hug her back, all the while trying to keep ahold of my luggage.

"I've missed you too, Gig."

She pulls away and looks me over head to toe. Then she scrunches her nose. "Jeez. What gym regimen did Bobby have you on while you were away?"