Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Time has never moved so slowly. The condensation of the beer keeps blending with the sweat of my palms, forcing me to change hands every few sips. I focus all my nervous energy on my peers. Most of them are already three sheets to the wind. A few are snapping pictures, no doubt eager to post their night's adventure to make our classmates jealous.

Radik has a redhead and a brunette tucked on either side of him in the hot tub. Steam rises up and collects around his lean torso, wetting his peppered chest hair. Someone squats down and yells for him to smile. The girls, two cheerleaders I recognize, lean into him and adjust their hair before plastering a fake smile across their glossy lips. Radik lowers his shades (yea, that douchebag is wearing shades in forty-degree weather in his own hot tub). He juts out his chin, all tough like, and the moment is preserved.

I check my phone. Two minutes down, three to go. I force down half my bottle of beer and start peeling away the wrapper. My gaze flits to Mike as he scoots closer to Gigi at the side of the pool. Beyond disgusting. What's worse is that it looks like Gigi is actually flirtingback. She laughs, smiles, and gives him 'those eyes.' Mike leans into her, encouraged by her reaction. He's unbuttoned his flannel, and now his tan, muscular stomach is on full display. Why is Gigi even humoring that asshat?

Two minutes to go.

I drain the rest of my beer and take my time walking to the waste bins. Unlike normal parties with grungy baskets and plastic liners, this one is in the shape of a waist-high vase. It looks like it's white marble, but it's hard to tell. I flick the side. Nope, just plastic. Fuck, I'm pathetic.

One minute.

My knees start locking up as I think of anything to occupy the next sixty seconds. I can't show up right on time, or else Zion will know he has my balls in a vice. His vice. No, I need to show up just late enough to let him know I mean business. The text last night can't be for nothing.

And what about Hunter? Was he for nothing, too?

The mere thought of the beautiful stranger from the bar has me reeling. I've played out the idea of a one-night stand quite a few times in my head. Never did it end in an epic blowjob from a sexy man who didn't want to be my next regret.

And was he? Do I regret it?

I refuse to confront the questions, because either way, it's a lose-lose. Mindlessly, I walk back to the drink table and grab another beer. As much as I want to forget it, what will I say if Zion asks what happened? Would I want to know if the roles were reversed? I conjure up a mental image of Zion and another man. It only takes a few seconds before grimacing and pushing the abhorrent thoughts away. No. I definitely wouldn't want to know.

"I didn't think I'd see you here so early."

Casper leans over me to swipe up a beer. He uses the edge of the table as a bottle opener before flicking the stray, circular metal top into the fancy vase.

"I would have slept through the whole damn thing," I respond truthfully. "But Gigi woke me up and offered to be my ride."

Casper raises a light brow. "Gigi's here?"

I jab a thumb in the general direction of the pool. At least Casper will be able to appreciate my utter disgust with the turn of events regarding my sister's love life.

"Well that's new," Casper mutters. "I'm surprised you didn't threaten to beat his ass."

I snort and open my beer. I press the cap into my palm, enjoying the way the ridges leave small indents in my skin.