Chapter 13

Chapter 13

In the next few seconds, I live through (what I assume is) my first out-of-body experience. Everything crumbles in painful slow motion, while also moving so fast I can't digest all the details. I hear the responses without understanding the words. I see the reactions without processing the non-verbal messages behind him. I see myself standing there, not knowing whether to keep my eyes moving or let them drop to the floor. I'm sure I look something akin to a wild animal cornered in a cage. Trapped. Alone. Terrified.

It's Kurt's bark of a laugh that snaps me back to reality. He leans forward in his chair, dropping his propped-up feet to the floor. His expression morphs into disgust, and he addresses the room while showcasing my presence with his hand.

"And this is who replaced me on the team?" He turns to Radik. "I told you he was a fag."

The ugly word spills from his lips and sits stagnant in the air like black mold. I've never experienced harsh words or bullying because of my sexuality. Coming out with Bobby was easy, far easier than it is for most. Gigi always told me – and hell, so did Bobby - that I was lucky to have so much support. I always responded with a vague, 'I know,' but standing here now, I actually know.

Because being in this room, after admitting the truth about who I am, and subjecting myself to my team's ridicule, is fucking awful.

To my surprise, it's Hunter's words that whisper through my mind and manage to keep me grounded. You're a lot more likeable when you're just being you. I swallow hard, clinging to the memory like a lifeline. Hunter. Shit. I've just outed him to the rest of my team, too. I should have asked him first, but I was too wrapped up in the moment and didn't think twice. I need to find a way to tell him, and fast, before it hits social media.

And it will.

For all I know, it already has. Anxiety twists in my stomach, and I glance at the door, itching to make my exit. My eyes flicker over to Casper. He only holds my gaze for a split second before shaking his head and looking away. He's my friend, but it's his way of telling me that in this, I'm alone. He didn't want me to do this, and he's worried I'll drag him into the heat with me.

Kurt laughs again, this time elbowing Mike. "Dude, you had Broncs on your shoulders. Was his boner pressing into your neck?"

My face flushes with heat. This is humiliating.  Mike looks like he might be sick as he mulls over the possibility. He knows it's not true, but the idea gets to him all the same. If he wasn't dating my sister, he'd probably have more to say. Radik speaks over the murmurs of my teammates.

"And who was before Hunter?" he asks, his eyebrows pinching together with macabre curiosity.

He's looking for something in my response. Or maybe someone. I'm not sure who else they suspect is gay, between Zion and Casper. Either way, they'll be left guessing. I don't owe Radik anything, but I still answer, if nothing else than to protect Zion and Casper's privacy.

"My ex," I lie smoothly. "The guy you saw me with at the pizza shop awhile back. No one else."

I say it with enough conviction that Radik seems appeased. For now. Kurt throws his hands up in repugnance.

"I'm not playing with this dude tomorrow. Either he plays or I do, but I'm not subbing in for him."

He glances around the room, his expression eager to see who else is with him. I'm ashamed to admit I don't have the courage to defend my case. I remain silent, standing tall and waiting, just waiting.

"I say Kurt plays," Radik says after a small stretch of silence.

The other team members murmur their agreement, all of them except Casper, Mike and Zion. Each one chips away at my pride more than the last. Of course, in matters like this, it always comes down to Zion. Their King. All eyes flit to him, myself included. And when his eyes clash with mine, my world tilts on its axis once again.