Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Sweat beads over my palms and across my forehead. I race to the bathroom, flip on the lights, and slam the door closed behind me. The countertop is cool against my fingertips as I lean forward, assessing my state of appearance coming off of four 'Christmas martinis' and a night of shitty sleep.

Wild, light eyes stare back at me, a perfect glimpse to the internal fireworks rocketing through my system. My hair is askew, and the puffiness beneath my eyes could double as sand bags to prevent a flood. Nice. Real nice.

I scoff under my breath and quickly brush my teeth. There's no way I have time for a shower, so I simply paste on another layer of deodorant and throw a bit of water on my face and over my hair (which does nothing for the bags, by the way). I swipe up a pair of jeans and a hoodie from the floor and throw them on, sniffing them while I walk out to ensure they're not too dirty. Gigi scrunches her nose as I follow her into the hallway. She knows me well enough to get the gist of my 'morning routine.'

"You're so gross," she mumbles.

"At least I brushed my teeth," I shoot back.

I try to focus on the mindless banter with my sister to calm my nerves, but when I hear the familiar voices carrying from the foyer, that feeling of calm is shot to hell.

"...hoping it means he got rid of you," I hear Bobby snap sarcastically.

"That's a bold statement." Zion's tone is a calculated cold. "Considering what an upgrade I am from his prior relationship."

Gigi glances at me over her shoulder, pinning me with a 'you see what I'm putting up with for you?' type of look. We move into the foyer, and my stomach flip-flops when Bobby and Zion turn my way. Bobby looks the same as always - the handsome guy next door who everyone knows and likes. Then there's Zion - the brooding bad-boy and silent jock that is a mystery to all.

It still freaks me out seeing them side by side. It feels like a weird, alternative universe where my past and my present collide. They eye me as I approach. Bobby smiles. Zion scowls. Suddenly I'm wishing I had taken a few more minutes to attend to my appearance, though. Maybe it's just because I haven't seen him up close for a while, or maybe it's because I'm beyond horny, but Zion has never looked better. A pair of dark jeans hang low on his hips, and a fitted, grey hoodie hugs his torso. His dark eyes and hooded gaze follow my every step, and I can't help wondering if he wants me even a fraction as much as I want him.

Bobby's smile widens and he stretches his arms out to me. Fighting my instincts, I approach him first and accept his hug, patting him awkwardly on the back before pulling away.

"Hey man," I say. "Good to see you. Where's Momma T?"

Gigi butts in and dismissively waves her hand. "Her and Mom went shopping the second they got here. Don't be surprised if they end up hitting the sauce at a wine tasting and one of us has to pick them up later."

Bobby allows me to sever our hug but feels the need to clasp a hand on my shoulder right after, tugging me close to him in a way that reeks of possessiveness while still appearing 'friendly.' Zion's gaze follows the action. His scowl deepens.

"Dad didn't go with them?" I ask.

Normally when 'the moms' get together my poor dad is suckered into playing chauffeur. One time they went out, back in California, my dad had to listen to them screaming the tune of "Safety Dance" as he drove them from a bar to a strip club (Mama T's idea).

"He was put on grocery duty," Gigi explains. "Mom voluntold him to cook a nice meal for us."

I smirk, imagining my dad grumbling from one aisle to the next. He likes Momma T well enough, but he isn't a huge fan of 'hosting with style,' which has become habit every time the two of them come to visit.