Chapter 38 - Final Chapter

Chapter 38 - Final Chapter

The next few weeks pass in a blissful haze. I find my own routine, despite not having school to keep me on a strict schedule. My mornings are spent at the gym with Mike and Casper. Mike is bound and determined to match me with every weight increment I achieve as I continue to tone and build muscle for the start of my college experience. Casper ignores the competition entirely, instead opting to play the role of referee whenever our competitive banter gets out of hand.

On occasion, Hunter joins us there too, but the dynamic is weird. Without him there, things are cool. Casper and I manage to build on a friendship that was almost past the point of repair. When Hunter is around, things are tense. Casper's immediately on edge. The two are on opposite ends of the 'out spectrum,' and Hunter's tolerance of Casper's closeted comfort level is becoming a strain on their situation. Hell, I'm not even sure whether the two are still boning. If they are, it's clear the relationship is not meant to last.

To make matters worse, Hunter has an incredible talent for ruffling feathers wherever he goes. After my mornings at the gym, I usually spend my afternoons with carbs and coffee at Zion's place of work, and Hunter has become all too comfortable joining me. He swears it's the best coffee in town. He never crosses the line with his words, but his eyes are a different story. They linger on me when he doesn't think I'm looking, but I always notice. So does Zion. Hence the feather ruffling.

They're both alpha males who have no issue pushing buttons. It's easy to see how the two of them became best friends all those years ago. I've made my attempts to smooth things over between them, but Zion's not overly interested in mending that bridge. When it comes to holding a grudge, he hangs on with the same ferocity as a lion to its prey.

My evenings are spent wherever the night takes us. Sometimes Zion and I hide out in his room at Evan's place with beers and a movie, while others are spent enjoying a few drinks at Radik's with the rest of the group. The exceptions are Thursday nights. Those are designated family time. It's the only night of the week where my folks demand time with their children. It starts out as just the four of us, but when my mom realizes how sour Gigi and I are without our other halves, my parents quickly relent. Now it's a family couple's night.

I'll never admit it aloud, but nights like tonight, when it's just the six of us...they're my favorite night of the week.

Mike's bellowing laughter pulls me from my thoughts as he slings an arm over my mom's shoulder.

"Mrs. B, you gotta' teach Gigi how to cook. I'm a growing boy, you know. I can't survive on only having your good cooking one night a week. How am I supposed to survive the other six nights?"

My mom chuckles and shakes her head, no more immune to Mike's charm than the rest of us are. Gigi huffs and rolls her eyes, moving past her boyfriend without sparing him a glance.

"You know, Sharpe, you could cook for me every once in a while," she retorts without missing a beat and piles her plate up with pasta and bread.

Mike drops his arm away from my mom's shoulders and staggers back, feigning heartbreak. "Et tu brute?"

Gigi rolls her eyes and huffs out a laugh. "Mike – your use of that saying. It doesn't even make sense."

"You know you're welcome here anytime you'd like, Michael," my mom cuts in. "I always enjoy cooking for you kids."

Behind my mom's back, he winks at Gigi, and she scowls. Win for Mikey. He leans forward and gives my mom a one-armed hug before piling up his plate next.

"You're the best, Mrs. B."

"Such a kiss-ass," Gigi grumbles as two of them make their way to the table.