Chapter 20 - Piece Given, Piece taken

Tiny author's note: while going over some comments, I noticed that I accidentally typed "back" instead of "bag" in at least two places. It bugged me so much (see what I did there?) and I had to say it. Alright, carry on, sorry. 0-o

Every day, Logan's teammates made him feel like he was slowly losing his IQ. The first thing that he thought of when he woke up the day after their horribly irresponsible, unrealistic mission was the events of the previous day, and so he sat up in his bed with a sigh. There goes another chunk of his mental stability. Figuratively withering away.

If the situation of his patience could get any worse, it definitely did when he opened his phone to find a selfie Patton had sent the group with Puzzle, titled 'good morning, kiddos!'

Urgh.

Logan carefully typed a response. He would always type carefully, as typos looked so ridiculous to the eye and he could not bear to see them if only for one second.

'Patton, I still have a rather bad feeling about this.'

He stopped himself from signing his name this time. Patton wouldn't mention it, but Roman definitely would, and he did not wish to summon him to the already tiring conversation.

'he looks fine Lo he was just eating his breakfast when I came', the next response soon arrived. Logan wrinkled his nose at the lack of proper punctuation.

'I'm going to tend to his wounds now wanna join me?' the following just-as-awful message appeared before he could even correct the previous one. Logan inhaled deeply, before regaining his patience and composing a less-judgmental-than-he'd-have-wanted reply. See how those boys managed to already corrupt his perfect grammar?

'I suppose I could stop by Monty's barn on my way back from the stable. Is there anything I shall bring with me?'

Patton typed for a while before the next message popped onto the screen. 'Yeah actually could you get him his oat cookies from the tack store? :D'

No, Logan was not fooling you. There was a literal colon with the letter D after it.

'Patton, I was referring to medical substances he may require.'

'Cookies are medicine for the soul!'

'No, they are not. I shall meet you there in an hour.'

Logan didn't think much of the conversation as he brushed his teeth for exactly two minutes, as advised. He believed that the odds of his morning getting any worse were rather slim, until he left his room and made his way to the kitchen only to find his older brother sitting by the kitchen table and sipping from a cup of steaming coffee. The scent irritated Logan's nose. Not because he didn't like the scent of coffee, but because it had been caused by actions taken by his brother.

"Haru, what are you doing here?"

His brother lifted a pair of dark eyes from his coffee. He smiled. Logan didn't like that. "Morning, Robot. Just stopped by. Are you heading to the stables? Can I come with?"

"Not everything that I do has to do with those animals, Haru." He clenched his jaw. "... But yes, I am. And no, you may not accompany me."

"Why not? I can put on my shoes very quickly."

"You are not even supposed to be here," Logan hissed through gritted teeth. "Are you not supposed to be out of town, buying some new fifty grand horse and showing at some international show I do not care about?"

Haru tucked his hands into his pockets. "That's a little cold. Well-"

"Do you know what? Don't answer that. I'm heading out."