Chapter 12 - Where Pieces Go

Logan never wondered much about his horses. When horses come and go in your life like seasons, you don't ever really stop to wonder what Storm's favourite food was, or which horses Raven preferred to be around in the paddock. So Logan never wondered where Nexus liked to hack. He never wondered what type of grains she preferred. Because horses came and went.

As he now stood in his horse's stall and slid her bridle off, Logan wondered what Storm's favourite food was. Now he'd never know, of course, nor would he ever know the company of which horses Raven preferred in the paddock. He'd had many horses in his life so far, each to be eventually replaced by a "better" one.

When Nexus is gone.. would he regret not learning more about her?

Father would say it doesn't matter, surely. In fact, Logan doubted his father was even aware of the fact that horses had personalities and preferences.

But hey, what would Logan know. He treats Nexus like a sports car.

Logan never really let words stick with him; that's how he knew that these ones managed to affect him in some way. They snapped him out of his perfect balance for the briefest of moments, which was unlike him. And he hated it.

He hated the way that things had been changing in his head.

Nexus eyed him silently as he unbuckled the girth under her stomach, allowing the troubling thoughts to travel through his brain. She was so simply-structured, yet he couldn't figure her out. Lately he hadn't been able to figure himself, either.

"Oh, Logan, there you are."

Logan recognised his teammate's voice, yet didn't feel the need to turn around.

"Yes, Roman?" he asked casually, sliding the saddle off of the horse's back. The fur underneath stuck to her skin with sweat.

"When you're done with Nexus, could you possibly take some of that precious time of yours to meet with us to compose a plan?"

Logan wasn't sure whether Roman was implying he'd never granted them of his time, but he decided not to focus on the matter. Sometimes Roman simply said what Roman said. A redundant statement, however one that fit the bubbly teammate quite perfectly.

"I don't see a reason why not," he said.

"Super!"

"Then I suppose we would-"

"-kalifragilistikexpialidocious."

Logan eyed him with a glance of steel. "Uh- yeah-"

"- Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious."

"Stop."

Logan could only describe the expression on Patton's face as a mixture of sadness and hope. Though his lips were stretched to a smile, his eyes held the same grief they'd had the last time the two met. He didn't like that look one bit, so instead he fixed his eyes on the pictures hung on the wall across from him; a tiring task to the eyes, but father had taught him never to look down.

"Alright, what do we know?"

Roman set one foot dramatically on the short-legged table as he spoke, and rested his chin upon his clasped fingers with narrowed eyes.

"I know he was sold to someone within the country, so that's good," Patton piped. His voice was a bit hoarse. Logan decided upon not telling him that the information was barely affecting the situation in any positive manner.

Virgil sank deeper into the couch. "Great. Very helpful, Pat, this is going to be easier than we thought."

"Actually-"