Chapter 8 - High Strung

Virgil could swear the sky was a little more blue than it was the day before when he left the house and made his way down the sleepy street. His eyes still tingled with the burn of morning and a sprout of a yawn stuck in his throat. A single bark echoed from a nearby street and stretched across the thick morning air, and a cheerful bird whistled as it dashed past as though wishing him a nice day.

"You too," Virgil said with the hint of a smile.

He tucked one hand into his hoodie's pocket as he walked, the other clutching the strap of his bag to support his tired shoulder. His mind travelled back to last night, and he pushed down the tug of a smile and stared at the sidewalk. He couldn't tell how long he'd stayed up texting his friend, but either way, time flew like it was late for the biggest day in its life. It always did when the two talked.

Trigger stood at the cross ties when he entered the stables, and the sunlight that reached through the window complimented his bay pelt. The horse greeted him with the flick of an ear when he arrived.

"Hey, Trig."

A head peered from behind the horse at once. Roman's face brightened up when his gaze met with Virgil's, causing him to jerk back.

"Jeez, you scared me," he blurted. Roman chuckled in return.

"Good morning." His voice was as lively as ever. "Want to help me get this good boy ready for our ride?"

Virgil surprised himself with the strange feeling of disappointment at the fact that he couldn't. "I kinda have work."

"Oh, right, forgot how important you are around here."

"Clearly, this place would go bankrupt without me."

He gave the rider a small salute as he turned on his heels and proceeded down the hall.

"Hold up, Virgil."

Virgil twisted around at the call. Roman had just grabbed an impressive red saddle pad and was now placing it upon the horse's back.

"Yeah?"

"Have you seen Patton around today? I don't think he's shown up yet and it's kind of unlike him."

Virgil ran through his memory from the moment he entered through the ranch's gate and up until he met Roman and Trigger. "No, I don't think I've seen him. I mean- I literally just got here like five minutes ago."

"Oh. Gotcha'."

He tilted his head. "Why are you asking and why in hell have you resorted to such lowly speech?"

Roman snorted a chuckle. "No reason, just a little worried about him. He kind of disappeared after our lesson yesterday. No, wait, I'm pretty sure he did in the middle of the lesson." He tapped his chin as though trying to recall something. "Yeah, it was in the middle. I left after you did to check on you and when I got back he wasn't there. I hadn't even noticed, dear lord, I'm only now realising it."

"And the winner of the well-desired annual 'most-oblivious-person-on-the-planet' award is..." Virgil said, causing the other boy to roll his eyes and push down a smile. "Drumroll isn't needed. It's you."

"Yeah, fine, I had this coming."

Virgil leaned against a nearby stall, slightly surprised by the small rush of confidence the boy's presence had given him. "Have you tried calling him or were you too busy not realising there's something wrong with your good friend?"

"I'm gonna do it now, J.D-lightful," he grumbled.

Virgil didn't feel like leaving to start his work as Roman pulled out his phone and tapped a couple of times, leaning back against his horse. He brought the phone to his ear and waited for about ten seconds before shaking his head and hanging up. Virgil caught the glimpse of a contact titled "Pat" with a heart emoji before he turned it off.