Wedding Bells - 17 (5K special)

The groom, clad in a modest and slightly tattered black suit, bit his lip as he looked up upon the grand brown building. He was getting married.

His cap, as always, fitted  loose on his head kept it warm from the wind as he made his way. Race and Spot walked up to the young man, a cigar loose in the first mans lips: "Say, you gonna run or nah?" the accent dripping thick making Skittery and some around laugh.

"I ain't runnin'. I'm no fool when it comes to her, Racey." Skittery grinned proud as Race scowled at the name.

"Yeah, y'a better not run. Jack'll have your head!" Mush rubbed Skittery's shoulders as the group headed inside as the hour neared.

Newsies walked into the church as the bells began to struck noon. "Thanks Mush for wearing a shirt." Skittery chuckled as made his way to the front of the church where the vicar awaited.

As the younger and older newsies settled. From both Manhattan and Brooklyn, the piano began to play its soft wedding melody.

Skittery's best man and ring bearer, Tumbler, stood to the side wearing a large grey suit jacket. He was stood quite proud.

The group stood as the door in the back opened. Two silhouettes making themselves present. One was tall Jack Kelly, hair grown out and a Santa Fe tan on his nose. The infamous cowboy hat hung from his neck.

The other character was a shorter Y/N Kelly. As Skittery saw her walk down the aisle, time seemed to slow. For the boys too. Her cheeks were rosy, but not too much, thanks to Sarah. Hair twisted and some strands braided, many thanks to Miss Larkson. Her dress although not the classic perfect white, they settled on a cream with lace that reached just above her ankles. The light material making her look like the princess from the many tales she told their newsboys.

What charmed the boys the most was her smile. Her smile never left her face that day. And wouldn't for another many years.

Y/N made her way down the aisle, arm looped through Jack's as her gloved hands lightly held onto the meek bouquet.

Y/N looked as Skittery, butterfly's in her stomach. She was getting married. She had been oh so nervous days leading up to this one. But the morning that she woke up at Sarah's the morning of the wedding to ready herself, she felt at ease.

Y/N wanted to spend the rest of her life with this man and she hoped he wished the same. And he did.

As Jack passed his little sister onto Skittery, the piano music slowed and the vicar cleared his throat.

As the ceremony passed, tears were shared. More from Race than from Medda. And even more from Kid Blink.

Denton even managed to take some photographs with his work camera.

Tissues were shared around to wipe tears as vows were exchanged between bride and groom. Before the finale, "Do you take Y/N to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I, Skittery, take you, Y/N, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honour you all the days of my life."
Skittery slipped a thin gold band onto Y/N's finger, his hands slightly shaking.

Cheers echoed through the halls with some giggles, "Yeah you will!"

"Do you take Skittery to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

"I, Y/N, take you, Skittery, to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honour you all the days of my life."
Y/N smiled as she took the thicker band from Tumbler and slipped it onto Skittery's finger.

As the vicar allows them, they shared a kiss for the history books. It was slow but filled with the love that the two shared for one another. As she held his face in her hands, him being her whole world: he hugged her waist as their crowd cheered and praised.

•••

:) 13 April 2021
Words: 700