A Certain Brooklynite and a Letter - 06

Sarah looked at Y/N with a raised eyebrow, "Kelly?"
"Yeah, you might o' heard of my brother, Jack?"
"Oh um yeah, he actually visited us." Sarah smiled awkwardly. Y/N thought for a second.

This girl definitely had some liking towards the Kelly boy.

"Well, it was nice meeting you Sarah, but ise gotta go." She announced, not sure whether she like the thought of her brother being with someone. Although, the thought of having a girl friend sounded nice considering she'd been around boys almost her whole life.

"Okay, well you seem like a nice boy," Sarah winked, Y/N really had to try better at disguising herself. "I'd love to see you again sometime."
"Yeah, I guess I'll have some time free tomorrow, near noon."
"Great, want to meet at Tibby's?"
"Sure"

The girls said their goodbyes and headed separate ways.

Right as Y/N turned the corner and saw the Newsboys Lodging House, rain began dropping heavily onto the streets.

She picked up her pace, and ran to the door of the home. As she entered the house, she was greeted with most of the boys huddled together, "Ok, well us three will look by the Brooklyn Bridge, maybe she heard about Conlon?"
"I'll take Dutchy and we'll look by the Refuge."
"Jack and Dave are goin' there anyway."
"And why are Jack and David headin' there anyway?" Y/N asked, leaning into the group.

All the boys looked at her, seemingly startled. They recovered from the shock and immediately engulfed her in hugs, their shirts getting wet as hers was too from the rain.

All they boys were asking her if she was okay and "where were you?" And "you're safe, thank god!" And others.

Skittery was sat away in a corner on a chair, his hand rubbing his chin as it was propped up, an annoyed look on his face.

"Y/N!" A boys voice called out. Tumbler ran down the wooden steps and up to her, she laughed and picked him up.
"Hey kiddo, aren't yous supposed to be asleep?" Y/N flicked his nose to which he squirmed and some of the boys laughed.
"Well I was gonna... but you weren't here!"
"I wasn't gone for that long," she put him down and shooed him off to bed.

"Why are Jack and Davey goin' to da refuge?" The boys suddenly became interested in their shoes and with hands.

Skittery stood up, walking over to her. "Earlier today, we got into a fight with 'em scabs," Y/N furrowed her eyebrows. She was gone for a couple hours and they all get into a fight. "But then the bulls showed up and Crutchy didn't get out in time." He finished. Trying to decipher her facial expression.

She took a deep breath in.

"What was it about that Conlon guy?" She slowly looked up at him to see the pained expression.
"Jack, Dave and Boots went to talk to Brooklyn's leada' if he was gonna join," Boots cut in. "But he said we have to prove that we'se bein' serious, and the other boroughs won't join until Brooklyn does." Y/N nodded slowly. She grabbed Skittery, pulling him into a corner.

"Bad timing but the Delancey's know ise a goil." Skittery's face went from shock, confusion, to anger in milliseconds. He stuttered, trying to ask how. "But we'se got more important stuff ta worry 'bout. Don't wait for me." She said quickly and ran out of the Lodging house.