Verse Four

Reading Dante's Divine Comedy and learning about the multiple circles of Hell was only a slight distraction from the fact that I still had to wait over seventy-two hours for the most exciting concert of my entire life

At least I had the diversion of reading about Dante's interpretation of forbidden love to keep me occupied.

"While in Hell, Dante encounters Francesca who fell in love with her husband's older brother.  She says to him, 'the double grief of a lost bliss is to recall its happy hour in pain.'  What do you think this quote is talking about?  Ivy?"

"I think it means that it hurts worse to remember the good times when you're in pain because it shows you just how much you've lost."

"Excellent.  So, since Francesca landed herself in Hell for the carnal sin of having an affair with her husband's forbidden older brother, she is suffering, and suffering doubly because she is remembering the love and happiness she felt on earth while being tortured for all eternity."

"Kind of a steep price to pay for true love," Isaac said from the seat beside me. 

Constance wasn't in our advanced world literature class, but Isaac had always shared his love of creative writing with me.  It was one of the things that had bonded us together as kids in school.

"Not in this time period.  But for today's standards, of course.  Women were harshly persecuted for their lust, but in Dante's work, her lover was also punished in Hell with her as the two suffered by being caught in an eternal wind that sweeps them away much like their passions swept them up in their lives on earth.  In this, the two were both punished equally."

"Didn't her husband catch them in the act and murder both of them?"

"Yes Caleb, that's right.  Glad you're reading the material this time," our professor said cheekily as Caleb Brentwood, notorious for skipping the readings and just doing the SparkNotes of our assignments smiled broadly at him. 

I sunk lower into my seat as his eyes flicked over to me, like he was using some kind of weird form of manipulation on me.  

So you did the reading?  Who cares.

"Well, this chapter was pretty interesting to me.  You know—since it was all about lust and passion."

A few of his friends laughed beside him, all of them being football players just like him. 

"I'm sure this Canto was very interesting to you, Mr. Brentwood.  What else did you find about this particular Canto that you enjoyed?"

I liked that our professor didn't let him get away with calling them chapters and used the proper name for the sections that the writer divided up his work with. 

Caleb's dark eyes snapped to me once more and I could feel the laser imprint of his stare staining itself onto my skin.  This was my absolute least favorite thing about sharing a class with my ex-boyfriend.  At least he was on the other side of the room.