Verse Seventeen

Kade opened my door for me as Hollin pulled up to my dorm

The sun shone in a bright arc across the sky and illuminated the gold shining in his dark eyes.

His skin was glowing in a way I hadn't ever seen, but my stomach was tight with tension and the need to be alone, if only for a moment.

His eyes were on my lips but mine were on my best friend as she sat in the courtyard with headphones in and a book stretched open in front of her.

His mouth was moving but the world was spinning around me and my breath was lost somewhere in my chest instead of making it all the way to my lungs.

He was looking at me like something had changed between us—something intrinsic and purposeful and real...like there was something real dangling in the space between our bodies.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

And then Con's head popped up and she looked around the courtyard in a daze, like she hadn't realized she'd been so engrossed in the novel before her.

Her eyes caught on someone in the distance and she smiled brightly.

Isaac dropped down beside her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his side.

My pounding head from the hangover I'd willed away returned in full force, and the remnants of the tequila shots I'd done swirled in my stomach with the bile until it created a toxic mixture.

"Yeah.  Right after classes."

Kade's hand shot forward like he wanted to...hold me?  Hug me goodbye?

I wasn't sure which one it would be, but then he sighed and pulled that hand back, a hand with a tattoo that snaked up his wrist until it disappeared beneath the sleeve of the jacket he'd donned earlier.

"Good.  See you then."

But before he could turn and walk the two steps back to the front seat of the SUV where Hollin was waiting, he stopped where he stood, and stared.

His eyes captured mine, held me hostage within their grip, and I couldn't breathe.

Constance and Isaac were forgotten where they sat at the fountain in the middle of the courtyard.

The rest of the fucking world was gone.

There was a slight dusting of stubble on Kade's face, its darkness highlighting the glow of his skin and the sharp cut of his jawline.

"Why did you ask to come with me today?"

I had three options:

1.  Lie.

2.  Ignore the question and walk away.

3.  Tell him the truth.

He'd already seen me vulnerable enough with Caleb.  Would giving him even more ammunition against me to hurt me again a smart move?