Bridge (Two)

If I blinked, would she disappear?

If I looked away, would the sunlight be smothered by a thick charcoal cloud and stop its beautiful assault on her hair that splayed across my pillow?

If I breathed too deeply, would it wake her up and ruin the spell that the silence and stillness had created?

If I—

A sleep-worn sound fell past her plump pink lips and her body stiffened until a shuddering stretch overtook her body and then she was blinking away sleep and rest and gazing up at me with mild confusion and contentment swimming in her eyes. 

It was a dangerous thought, the idea that I could get used to this. 

Used to waking up next to someone that I barely even knew. 

Someone I hadn't even known an entire year, someone I'd wronged and who'd forgiven me and accepted me for whatever reason I couldn't understand quite yet. 

Sprays of dappled sunlight burnished her hair until it shone, the gleam reflected in her eyes as the light transformed them from hazel to green and cast an otherworldly glow in them. 

"Hi."

Her shy word penetrated the once silent bubble that we'd been trapped in since the moment I'd opened my eyes. 

"Hi."

And then we just...stared.  

Her at my face, my eyes, my half-naked body from the waist up.

As far as myself, there wasn't a place on her body I didn't want my eyes to roam, but the blankets at her hips kept me from seeing much. 

Dust flew like sparkles in between the shaft of light that pierced in through the gap in the curtains from the front window and her lips parted slightly as she peered up at me. 

Her lips were still plump and slightly bruised from the night before. 

There was a purplish mark at the juncture between her neck and shoulder, and another one just barely kissing the space underneath her ear. 

Jesus, what had we done to each other last night?

I was fairly certain there were teeth marks embedded into one of those marks, too.

My teeth marks were on her skin.

The thought of where my mouth had been the night before set my blood on fire, rushing through my veins and speeding south fast, but the sound of my team arriving on the other side of the door to the room that was our sanctuary abruptly shattered the idea that I could've gotten away with having her all to myself for the morning. 

What the fuck were they doing there so early? 

"Oh, how did the single do?"

Oh.  Right.