stop sign (part 2)

"how much longer?" flower groaned. she had been sitting in the freesmart super van for hours and at this point was sitting upside down in her seat.

"we'll see," lolly shrugged. "you do realize that a main aspect of a road trip is the road, right?"

flower scoffed. "we've been on the road for hours! if we had a convertible or something it'd be nice, feeling the wind through my petals, looking super cool, getting to see the sunset over the horizon of a black-paved highway..."

lollipop shook her head and chuckled. "alas, we're stuck in an old van." she paused for a second, glancing momentarily at her upside-down companion. "i don't suppose you can 'see the sunset over the horizon of a black-paved highway' if you're down there, my friend."

flower thumped down onto the floor with an 'oof', before clambering up onto the seat again. "what? that still doesn't make this old thing a convertible. who needs a roof anyway?"

lolly raised an eyebrow. "well-"

"can i cut the roof off of this thing?" flower interrupted. "lollipop, can i cut the roof off?"

"can you? you're perfectly capable of it," lollipop retorted. "should you? now that's a different question."

"...is the answer yes?"

lollipop chuckled. "if it took so much to get ruby to add brakes, i don't suppose she'd allow you to cut off the roof."

flower thought for a second. "she's ruby. she'd definitely be hesitant about brakes, but cutting the roof off? i dunno, she might like it."

"but you don't know for sure."

"well, do you?"

"no, and that's the point."

"no it isn't! why can you decide what the point is?"

lolly smiled, trying to stifle her laughter. "you asked me the question, flower. i suppose i have some kind of authority over that, don't i?"

flower rolled her eyes affectionately. "pfft. can't argue with that."

the two trundled along some unspeakably long road which was dotted with few cars and flanked by infinitely empty grassland, making the world feel empty. evening shades of purple and pink started to cascade over the van's windshield.

"it's getting late and i'm tired," flower yawned, her feet up on the dashboard. she glanced over at lollipop, who continued to drive without the faintest trace of fatigue on her face.

"we'll be at an inn soon," lollipop assured her. "i planned it so we'd get there before midnight."

"of course," flower smiled. after a moment, she sat up and turned to lollipop. "too bad there are so few people here. there hasn't been a single person to sell my fashion to..."

"there will be at the inn."

"yeah! even if nobody else is staying there, there's going to be someone running it. nice!"

the two drove along in the van, a sky peppered with millions of stars revealing itself over them. the moon was a circle of light above them, clear and penetrating. the unearthly blue glow of the sky's lights reflected off of the van as it drove into the night.

fortunately for flower, who was edging on the exhausted, the inn manifested over the horizon, nearing them every second. 

"thank gardener!" flower cried as lolly pulled up the van nearby.

the two opened the van doors and exited the vehicle, coming around to the back to remove their    luggage. however, when they opened the doors in the back, they found no such luggage. they found nothing.