Chapter Sixteen-Luca/Charlotte

Luca

"How many times do I have to fucking tell you? I've never seen this girl." I hissed. We had been at this for hours since they dragged me in here, and neither side was making any progress.

"You mean aside from the evening you discovered her body on the side of a river bank in New Orleans?" The detective arched his eyebrow at me condescendingly.

"Right. I've never seen this girl alive. Better?" I grabbed the picture off of the table and ripped it to shreds. I couldn't stand to look at it any longer. It had been hard to swallow back then, but even more so now that Layla was about the same age.

"Why don't we start from the top again? Why were you down in New Orleans?"

12 years ago
"I really appreciate the help you guys," Axel said slugging back his beer. "These drugs are showing up all over the place and they're starting to tie several bodies to them. I'm worried about the implications."

As usual, Axel was down here, playing both sides of the fence. He was running a small hallucinogenic ring down here, and there bad drugs were bad for his business. He was acting as an informant so the police would take them off the streets and keep attention away from the illegal shit he had going. I seriously had no clue how he kept up with all the double crossing he did.

"No problem, man. We've been looking for anything and everything to do to keep us busy." I chuckled.

"I'll be honest. I was surprised Charlotte agreed to let you come."

Angelo scoffed. "Agreed? He didn't tell her."

There was still some pretty heavy animosity between Axel and Angelo that I didn't totally understand. I knew there had been an altercation between the two of them while I was captive, but Angelo never really elaborated. All I knew was that he didn't trust Axel as far as he could throw him, and he was only here because he didn't want me involved with him on my own. I didn't blame him, considering the last time we worked with Axel, Niko nearly killed me.

Axel's eyes got big. "Where does she think you are?"

"Anyone else having déjà vu of Axel getting Luca involved in something that's going to be an issue with Charlotte?" Angelo quipped.

"She knows we're down here." I glared at Angelo. "She just doesn't know we're here on a case."

"Well, I'll try to get you back home as soon as possible." Axel ignored Angelo's antagonizing. "There's a specific spill way underneath the highway that we think they're dealing from. Everything comes with the same logo and every package I've managed to scrounge up has been laced with fentanyl."

"You think it's local bangers?" Angelo asked.

"I honestly don't know. That's why you're here. I tried to call Carlo since he's the new Don but he wasn't able to come out. I wanted to see if it matched anything he's seen lately."

"Well, why don't we go check out the bridge and see what we can find?" I suggested, finishing my beer. We paid our tab and headed out."

Present Day

"Like I said the last five times, I was down there on a guy's trip..."

"With Axel Dominguez."

"Axel is my cousin."

"Right, the mafia Don is cousins with the gang member turned police informant." He chuckled.

"I have no clue what you're talking about. I know nothing about the mafia, let alone run one."