Chapter Twenty Nine-Charlotte

"Right this way, ma'am." A nurse led me down the hallway to where Luca's room was. No one had given me much information when I got here, and I had no idea what to expect. Except that it was probably bad. They didn't take murder suspects out of the hospital unless it was serious.

I was sick about it. That jail was like a death sentence for him, and I had to get him out as fast as possible.

I had tried to call Marco a few times on the way over, but I hadn't heard from him since he left my house this morning. That was unusual for sure, but he had been working around the clock to get those videos I had found put together, so I was sure he'd call as soon as he had something.

There were two guards and a doctor outside of Luca's room when I finally got there.

"Mrs. Catalano?" The doctor asked.

All I could do was nod.

"I'm Dr. Collins. Why don't you and I talk for a few minutes before you go see your husband?" He led me a little ways away from the guards.

"Your huspend was in an altercation at the jail. He has several fractured ribs and a severe concussion. Believe me, it looks and sounds worse than it is. We're keeping him for a few days to be sure that there is no internal bleeding from the broken ribs, and that there is no residual effect from the concussion. He's alert and talking and all those are good signs, and I have every reason to believe he'll make a full recovery."

"Oh, thank god." I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

He glanced back at the guards before leaning in closer to me. "Here." He handed me a badge. "Those guys only call because they're required to let you know he was brought here, and they won't actually let you see him. Go down there and talk to them, but on your way out, there is a staff lounge. You'll find scrubs in there. You can change into them and pose as a nurse. The only people allowed to be alone with him are medical personnel. They'll stay out of your hair if they think you're a nurse. This badge will get you into his room and into the lounge areas."

He caught me completely off guard. "What... what are you..."

"I'm a friend of Luca's. Ever wonder where Angelo learned all his medical skills?" He smirked. "Just be careful. They change the guard in about 10 minutes and that will be your best opportunity. These guys will recognize you."

"Thank you so much." I whispered, tucking the badge into my purse.

He nodded. "It will be turned off at 6PM. Stay until then if you want. I know it's been a long time since you two have been able to see each other."

I smiled as he walked back to the guards and gestured to me. I made my way back over there.

"We will call with any updates, Mrs. Catalano. Unfortunately, prisoners aren't allowed any visitors while out of the prison and we can't be giving him any special treatment." One of the guards scoffed.

"I understand." I nodded. "Will you tell him I came?"

"Sure." He smiled smugly. "Drive safe."

I turned and left, walking around the corner until I came to the door to the lounge. I wanted to trust that doctor, but I was hesitant. It could be another trap of Whitaker's. I stood there for a few minutes, trying to make up my mind. Finally, I swiped the card and went in. Just like he promised, there was a wall of scrubs and I was all alone. I quickly changed into a pair, stuffing my things inside of a locker and slipping the badge into my pocket. I glanced out of the door and saw two other guards at Luca's door now. I walked toward it confidently.

"Ma'am, we're going to need some identification." One of the guards stopped me.

"Of course." I handed him my badge, and he glanced it over.