Chapter Twenty-Charlotte/Luca

Charlotte
I was a little dumbfounded when I left Luca. He was protecting someone, and he claimed that person wasn't Axel. I figured he knew more than he was telling me, but I never imagined he was protecting someone to the point of staying in jail and risking his entire future. Luca's loyalty was unmatched, but right now, it was infuriating. He was in danger every second he was in that jail and I was out here trying to run his business and take care of our children and hold myself together in the process. All the while, he knew information that would release him and he was keeping it to himself.

Maybe Marco knew who he was protecting. I was ready to do whatever it took to get my husband out of there and honestly, if that meant uncovering the person who was really responsible, so be it.

I got home and was happy to see that Marco was already at my house. He'd gone to visit Angelo today and maybe he had been more forthcoming with information.

The house was pretty quiet when I got home. I put my things down in the kitchen and I could see Leo and Marco sitting out on the back patio. I started that way and my stomach sank when I heard what they were talking about.

"There's an entrance there, and that's where I think that we will find the guns." Marco said. He and Leo both had a bottle of beer in front of them.

"Okay." Leo nodded. "Is there a time when it'll be pretty empty?"

"I am assuming early morning, but I'll have some guys staking it out a few days ahead of time and then you can..."

"What the hell is going on out here?" I interrupted, absolutely fuming.

"Mom, hey." Leo shot up. "Did you get to see dad?"

"Don't." I held my hand up. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Uncle Marco was just explaining..."

"Yeah." I snatched the beer out of his hand. "I heard."

"Hold on a second." Marco tried to jump in. "This was my..."

"Leo, go to your room." I growled, eyeing Marco. What the hell did he think he was doing? There was no way I wanted Leo anywhere close to this right now, and he was out here planning a fucking sting operation with him.

"Char, really, this isn't his fault. I was just..."

"I have had a really terrible few days and I am this close to losing my fucking mind." I snapped. "So I really don't care whose fault it is. I want Leo in his room, and I want you out of my house."

"Mom..." Leo tried again.

"Now!" I yelled.

Leo glanced at Marco, but then headed inside quickly, leaving us alone on the patio.

"Char, can you slow down for one second?" Marco reached for my hand. "I know you're upset but..."

"Upset? I'm livid Marco. I come home to you drinking with my son and explaining how to raid a building and find a bunch of guns." I hissed. He was completely out of his mind.

"Maybe the beers were a bad idea." Maybe? Was it not just a few weeks ago Leo had gotten suspended for drinking?

"Look, Luca told me you were okay with this. And so did Leo. I didn't mean to overstep, but Luca made sure you have your lane and I have mine while he's away."

"He's not away, Marco. He's in jail for murder because he refuses to give up the real person who did. And just so we're clear, anything to do with my child is my lane."

"Understood." Marco held his hands up in defense. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I thought he could help since we're running so low on guys right now and I thought you were okay with it. But you're absolutely right. He's your kid. I should have clarified before I jumped in."