CHAPTER 12: LAKE Part 1

Hey guy, sorry for the late update. I was just taking some time off to visit my family. Hope you like this chapter. It took quite some time to write, but still. Enjoy.

DIARY ENTRY #115

August 12th

It's been eight days since we've been at this outpost and I swear to god the weather is getting to me. I keep having to wipe my brow to stop droplets of sweat from getting into my eyes. Temperature must've been around nine-five degrees today. Summers are as hot as winters are cold here. People always seem impressed when I tell them it snows in Syria. My favorite season is Fall. Not too hot, not too cold, just right. A perfect sixty degrees Fahrenheit. We're still far from that but I get to dream.

Anyway, today, something happened, which is not always the case. Most days are quiet and boring. Richards and I were running out of ways of wasting time, so we ended up going with something that didn't require that much effort. Poker.

I placed my hand with the ace, the two, the five, the king and the nine of hearts on the table and said, "Flush."

Richards looked disappointed for a moment, then gave me a mischievous smile and placed his own cards on the table. "Full house."

I threw my cards playful but angry. This was my third loss in a row. When he said he was good at poker, I guess he meant it. I looked out the window of the dilapidated building complex. Just a reflex that I like to keep in check.

Richards asked "Again?"

I grinned back at him. "Yes, I'm not giving up until I win."

"You really are a sore loser, Captain."

"And even a worse winner, so you don't get to miss out on that."

We laughed, but it got cut short by a static noise followed by someone speaking through the radio. "I got movement on the south. Over."

I moved quickly. Within a second every muscle of my body went into full tension and my mind became clear and focused. I picked up the radio and my binoculars while Richards picked up his sniper. "Where?" I asked.

"Whiskey-3," he replied.

I looked through my binoculars at the position that was code for and couldn't see anything. Richards also began to look for the movement with his sniper sight until he said, "Found them, Captain. Next to the blue house."

I turned to the small building that had once being a house and was now on ruins and saw what the movement was. A woman and a young boy approaching the zone we were in. I rosed the walkie talkie again and asked, "This is Charlie. Does anyone else have Victor? Over."

I awaited the response for what felt like hours, but it was probably only seconds. "Negative. Only radar. Over."

I moved to a different spot to see if I could get a better view of the woman and the kid. It was a tall woman, at least from where I was standing almost a hundred and fifty yards away. She was dressed completely in black, and from where I was, I couldn't even see her face, which was not uncommon. It wasn't the woman who rubbed me the wrong way. She seemed to be walking peacefully, yes entering a forbitten zone but still, she seemed perfectly natural. The boy however, there was something off about the boy. It took for them to come a few yards closer for me to understand what it was.

"Keep your sights on the boy, bro," I ordered.

Richards looked at me and asked, almost in disbelief. "What?"