Chapter 18: The Wedding Part 2

When I woke up, my head was killing me. Everything around me felt like a blur and my mouth tasted sour. My back hurt, the way it hurts when you're a kid and you fell down a tree, or off your bike. It took me a moment to focus and realize I was in my own Hotel room, in my own bed. I looked around and saw Riley getting up from the chair in the corner of the room.

"You're awake " she said, "How you feel?"

"Like crap. What the hell happened?"

"I found you in the bar last night. You were in the middle of a fight with the bartender. I don't even think she's part of the wedding or anything but you seemed very offended."

Wait, last night? Fighting? What? No, no. I was in the bar about to go talk to her in the afternoon. 2 or 3 PM tops.

"Wait, what? A fight?"

She smiled. "I know right! I've never seen you fight before. You're Miss Bossy-pants-do-what-I-say-before-I-make-you. But you've never actually tried to fight someone. That's my deal. It was really fun to watch."

The bartender?

"Oh, no. What time was that?"

She shrugged. "Like, ten or eleven. I walked into the bar and there you were, fighting."

"You walked into the bar? At 11 PM? We didn't talk before that?"

"Not really. Last time we talked it was in your car."

Jesus, I was missing about seven hours. Great, I didn't even speak to her. I removed my covers and noticed that while Riley had removed my shoes, she didn't remove my clothes. She felt like she needed to explain.

"I didn't change you into something better because I didn't know if you'd be okay with that. I didn't want to overstep."

"Yeah, thanks." I said. I stood up to go to the bathroom and noticed a sharp pain on my right knee as soon as it began to support my weight. "Oh, no." I unbuttoned my jeans and lowered them to see that I had somehow scratched my knee. Pretty nasty cut, too.

"Oh, damn" Riley said, clearly surprised.

"My knee is bleeding," I looked up to her "why is my knee bleeding?"

"I don't know! Like I said, I saw you fighting at the bar. I stopped you and put you to bed. That's it. Although, you were walking funny last night but I just thought it was because you were so drunk."

"So I already had this when you saw me?"

"Probably, yeah. You sure didn't get it when you were with me." She stopped and said, "Last night. When I brought you here. Like, not, like. You know what I mean."

I smiled. She's so awkward with words. I always found it cute. "Thanks. I think I'll take a shower now."

"Okay. If you need anything just text me. I'll be around."

I nodded. She left and I hopped into the showered, got dressed and went downstairs to the bar. Seamus was there.

"Miss, good morning. I honestly didn't think you'd get up so early after last night?"

Oh, this is looking better and better. "What happened last night?"

"You don't remember? Oh, miss. That is... I'm not sure. You came into the bar with the groom, you were talking and were... pretty drunk. The groom left, I think to bring your wife, his sister?" He was asking for confirmation. I nodded. "He left you on the counter, you asked for another drink, I refused and you got very... demanding."

"Oh, my God, did I say something mean?"

"No! Well, not at the beginning. You just offered me a thousand dollars for a beer."