Chapter 20: The Wedding Part 4

I woke up at around 10AM, Riley was asleep next to me. I really owe her an apology, she's had to take care of me for the last two days and hasn't really had time for herself. She did, at least, get into something more comfortable before falling asleep after she had to confort me for losing my wedding ring.

I got in the shower and cried again. This felt so out of proportion, I knew that, but there was something so deep about losing that ring. So... definitive. When I got out, Riley was already up and eating room service breakfast.

"I ordered you some Belgian waffles, and scramble eggs. And also some hot cocoa," she said.

I dried my hair up and sat on the bed next to her. She was eating an egg white omelet, chicken sausages and oatmeal with PB. It's one of the things she always complained about the most. I can eat whatever I want and never gain weight. Riley, on the other hand, eats very big portions, but she eats very healthy foods. Making breakfast used to be a nightmare until she started doing this really annoying yet considerate thing. Every Sunday, she made this monstrosity of a breakfast. Tons of pancakes, bacon, toast with jellies and jams. We'd sat down and eat, just the three of us. It was the best part of my week. The rest of the week, we eat whatever she made, which was mostly 'clean' food.

"Thanks for ordering breakfast for me," I said.

"No problem."

"No, seriously, this whole weekend has been a complete disaster for you, and it's because of me."

The was half way to putting her fork in her mouth, when she stopped and asked "Disaster?"

"Yeah, you probably had plans, you know, sitting by the pool, drinking margaritas, all the girls losing it when they see you."

She laughed. "You really think that? Are you kidding me? This is the most time I've spent with you since I screwed us up. I... I'm really glad I got to spend the weekend with you."

She smiled, that flimsy, weak, nervous smile. I always loved that smiled. It made me feel like she wasn't always this tough, nonchalant, impassive woman. Every time she smiled like that it reminded me that she acted that way with people, but never with me. With me she was soft, and caring, and sweet. That's why losing that hurt so bad.

When she smiled at me I wanted to kiss her. I've wanted that for a while now. Feel her close to me, feel her hands on my skin. Have her inside me. Wow, that escalated quickly, huh?

"Thanks," I replied. "I'm really glad I got to spend the weekend with you, too. Although, it was a disaster, I lost my goddamned ring."

"Oh, come on Faye. It was a $20 silver ring. We should've changed them for better ones years ago, we just never got around to it."

"Yeah, I know, but still. It was our ring."

We finished breakfast and Riley went to her room to take a shower and change. We needed to prepare for pictures. I put on my maid of honor dress and went downstairs to check on Sheila. She was already in her dress and getting her hair done. The woman doing Sheila's hair was a beautiful tall blond, with gorgeous blue eyes, wearing a simple pink dress and an elegant bun. 

"Faye!" Sheila said, not moving her head, looking at my reflection on the mirror in front of her. "You're just in time. We're almost done here, then she can do you."

I mean, a woman like that can do me or pretty much anyone she wants whenever she wants, but I'm a married w... oh, she meant my hair. Yeah, that makes sense.

I sat next to Sheila as she asked. "You got the ring?"

"Yeah, here. Why?"

I gave her the ring, she took it in her hand and looked at it for a moment. "Connor wants to take the pictures with it. I don't know if I'll agree to that."