CHAPTER 21: The reception

"Ladies and gentlemen. For the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Connor and Sheila Brenan," exclaimed the band before beginning to play the song that Connor and Sheila had chosen to be their first dance.

People applauded as Connor and his wife walked arm in arm towards the center of the room and danced to Endless Love. Seeing them dancing and staring into each other's longingly was... well, let's just say there's a reason people say it's easy to pick up women at weddings.

I could only think of Riley and I. How much I wanted to slow dance with her, of how long it had been since we had. Did we even dance anymore...? In the end, I mean. After Lake got sick, we stopped doing anything that wasn't about her. But I mean, before that, back when we were still relatively. Did we dedicate ourselves to each other as much as we should've?

Why am I asking that? We didn't even get the time to buy better rings. We were too busy running a business and taking care of toddler, and doing this and that and... Jesus, what were we even doing? Everything outside of our family seems so meaningless now.

As Connor and Sheila finished dancing and everyone clapped, Riley stood beside me.  "Makes you a little nostalgic, right?"

I smiled and said, "Shut up."

As the band began to play a new song she turned to me, extended her hand and asked "May I have this dance."

I took her hand and we walked towards the center of the room where people were already dancing. She placed her right hand in the small of my back and pulled me closer. Her eyes were kind and clear. Her hands felt warm, she smelled spectacular.

As the song ended and we had a small moment of silence, I leaned forward on her ear and whispered. "You wanna get ou-?"

I couldn't finish my question. Someone was yelling Riley's name and trying to call her attention by waving at her. Sheila's hair dresser approached us and asked me. "May I steal a dance for a moment?"

Oh, no, you may not. Absolutely not! I was so close to ask Riley to come back to my room with me and you show up out of nowhere for no reason asking to dance with her? Who the hell do you think you are? I looked at Riley who looked at me expectantly. She also wanted to know if my answer would be negative. The thing is, if it was... I was admitting I cared, and I didn't have enough time to process that maybe showing that I cared, was a good thing, so I replied. "Sure.... no problem, I think."

I turned to Riley and I could see the look in her face. She was disappointed, even a bit hurt.

That fucking woman, proceeded to grab Riley by the hand, pull her away and dance with her. They talked and dance for three whole songs. Riley laughed at something she said and I noticed that every time Riley tried to rise her hand a little up this woman's back, she push it down further, and further until Riley was pretty much grabbing her ass. Did I mention I'm a jealous person?

By the end of the third song they danced together, she told Riley something and Riley walked away. The hair dresser came towards me and stand next to me.

"She just went to get us some drinks."

"Yeah, she's like that."

We both stared at the happy couples dancing and I noticed a certain air of hostility coming from her, which she hadn't had when she did my hair. Or maybe it was me who was behaving apathetic.

"I've had my eye on her since we got here," she said that almost as if to mark territory. On my territory! "I mean, I don't wanna be rude but, what a woman."

My jaw tensed as I replied, "You have no idea."

She faced me for the first time and asked, "Oh, you're close."