10. Longing

It was one of the last days Karl, Quackity and Bad would be visiting. A heavy cloud of gloom hung over everyone's shoulders, knowing they'd have to go back to communicating only through the internet again. Even Sapnap would be leaving for a bit, he was going home to see family in Texas. The news he'd be gone for a bit knocked the wind out of Dream when he'd told him the day before,

"You're-what?" he said, trying to calm his increasing heartbeat.

"I haven't been back home in a while and my mom keeps texting me to say she misses me. Thought I would leave once everyone else does and stay there for a week or two"

"And leave me alone with George?" Dream knew he sounded selfish for hinting that his friend should stay, but he could not picture spending all that time alone with George. They still hadn't talked about their feelings for one another since the boy decided to stay friends.

"Dude you'll be fine. It's just George, you guys have always been friends and hungout in like 10 hour calls alone together" Sapnap reassured him, trying to convince him it would be alright.

Sapnap hadn't told the others yet, so it gave Dream time to think of what to say to George. Would he want to leave sooner? Close himself off from him?

Dream doesn't know what he'd do if he lost George again. The thought brought the taste of bile to his mouth.

His internal monologue was cut short when he heard an "ahem" from in front of him. Snapping his head up to shake himself from his zoned out trance, the beautiful boy he'd been thinking of stood there with a grin on his pale cheeks. The other boys were downstairs watching a movie, whilst Dream sat alone in the upper living room.

"What's up Georgie?" he questioned before the other even got a chance to speak.

"Are you coming downstairs anytime soon?" George sounded a bit concerned as to why he was previously sitting with his head held in his hands, gaze drooped to brown hard wood.

"I'm tired, wanted to just chill and think" he tried to keep his response short, as to not let on that he was panicking about being alone with George for a week.

"Oh- I'll leave you to it then" George quickly responded.

"No, no. You can stay. I like you being here" Dream let himself smile around the words he spoke. George's ears turned a bright shade of red.

"O-Okay" George cautiously sat beside him on the sofa awkwardly, not knowing what to do with himself. There was a decent gap between them, but somehow his shoulder still burned from Dream's presence. A soft, caring smile from the other eased the tension.

"Your hair looks good like that" Dream suddenly blurted out, pointing to the mess of dark strands on George's head. He forgot to fix it that morning when he woke up, and to him it looked like a disaster.

"What-dyou-mean it's all messy" George's accent strung his words together.

"No just trust me, you should style it like this" Dream exaggerated his point by reaching out to ruffle his silky hair, fixing bits here and there. He was much closer to George now, examining which bits should be placed where.

George stared into the younger's bright doe eyes, feeling a flutter of warmth in his chest at his focused expression. He couldn't help but relish in the feeling of their closeness, it felt like forever since they'd been in this proximity of one another. His gaze shifted to the curl of his feather lashes, then the indent of his cheekbones, before resting on deep pink curves. A tongue poked out between them, clearly a habit of concentration.

Dream noticed the subtle glance at his lips, but tried to not think too much about it. If he did, he'd just be letting that constant longing in his subconscious to come forward.

Dream cleared his throat, "Here, go look in the mirror" he gestured to the corner of the room, pulling back after tucking a piece behind the boy's ear.

George stood slowly from the couch, making small strides toward the large reflective glass. He slightly gasped at his appearance. Chocolate strands of hair pointed in several directions, slightly curled up on the ends. It was now a purposeful mess, and he had to admit he felt quite confident. He stayed planted in his stance for a while longer, still fixated on the way Dream had styled it so well. Dream sat back on the couch and admired his masterpiece, not failing to notice the slight glimmer of self-love reflected in the boy's honey pools of brown. He felt extremely content knowing he made George feel good about himself, he deserved to know how pretty he is.

The rest of the day George and Dream surprisingly spent alone. They decided to film videos for both of their channels, seeing that both of them hadn't uploaded in a while. Things felt normal between them again, as if the kiss or slight confessions never occurred. It was nice to be able to joke around and pander without feeling nervous or guarded with tension.

"DREAAAMMMM" George screamed loudly into his mic. Dream was currently hunting down George in Minecraft, and he had gotten close enough to slash him with a diamond sword.

"COME HERE GEORGEEE" Dream yelled back through giggles, not stopping his chase. Dream was lucky enough to find a mine shaft with diamonds that George had missed, so he was able to make a sword and chest plate. George had full iron armour, an iron axe and a shield, but his friend was doing serious damage.

"Dream! PLEASE! Just leave me alone!" George was practically begging. Dream liked it.

He knew George's health must be very low and they were only 45 minutes into filming, so he decided to back off to help a friend out. He's done it before while filming, but only for George.

After finally slaying George right as he's about to kill the ender dragon, George turns in his chair to look at Dream while groaning in defeat.

"Why didn't you just let me win!"

"Because then your ego would be too big.. aaannddd i'm just better than you" Dream remarked. George made a pouty face and shot beady eyes at him, whilst crossing his arms over his chest. It took everything in Dream not to pull him in for a kiss right there. Instead, he lightly patted the boy's head and told him he did great. They could banter and argue all day, throwing harsh insults at one another, but Dream would always slide in nice comments here and there. It was mostly off stream, but his soft spot for the brunette always wanted to remind him of how great he is.

The boys downstairs could hear the two bickering with each other like an old married couple, and they exchanged soft smiles to each other. Platonic or romantic, Dream and George were meant to share a lifetime together, and they all knew that.
__________________________
HI GUYS! i'm so sorry for not uploading for over a week😭 it's final exam period rn for me so i've been caught up in school BUT this will be my last week coming up before summer break so i'll be able to upload much more often soon! this was just a short fluff chapter i quickly wrote but i hope u guys enjoyed the little update:)