CHAPTER TWO

"There's my princess! How are you doing?" My father asks, entering the room with yet another bouquet of mock orange flowers

"There's my princess! How are you doing?" My father asks, entering the room with yet another bouquet of mock orange flowers. It's been a week since I woke up - three days since I said I would start training - and he has been bringing me the same flowers every day since. Initially, I thought nothing of it, just his way of showing me that he loves and cares about me, but after a few days, it is starting to make me nervous. I feel as though he has an ulterior motive, and he is just preparing me for what is to come, or maybe for something that happened in the past, but since I can't remember, he is trying to make amends now. Nonetheless, he is making me feel on edge.

"Hi!" I exclaim, closing the book on my lap. I finished going through the first photo album the very next day after receiving it, so Father has been bringing me a new one every day. Most of the photos are of my siblings and me winning tournaments, or smiling in hospital beds with a medal around our necks. I'm hoping to see more recent photos soon - the last photo of myself is from five years ago, a few days before my mother's death, if the mental timeline I have made is correct. "I'm doing okay. I can't wait to get out of here!"

"Nice to hear you aren't going to miss me," The Doctor says drily, entering the room behind my father, a clipboard in hand.

I sit up higher, a smile tugging at my lips as I reply warmly, "Of course I will miss you. I just don't want to be in bed any longer!"

She laughs, messing up my hair as my father sits down on the chair next to my bed, smiling at us. There is something behind his eyes, though. An unreadable expression I just can't put my finger on-

"You are being discharged today,"

My thoughts are cut short, my eyes flying towards the blue-haired woman before me. Although I know she has a lot of work to do, she has been spending a lot of her free time with me, even to the point of joining me for lunch or dinner. It feels as if she is currently my only friend, and despite our age gap, we do have a lot in common. We both enjoy a good hot mint chocolate drink during rainy days, staring at the stars and dreaming about what is beyond our planet, and even playing chess - a sport I picked up pretty quickly a few days ago.

I feel like screaming with joy, jumping and skipping around the building from the amount of happiness I am feeling as her words sink in. I am going to be discharged.

"That's such great news! You'll be able to finally come home!" Dad exclaims, pulling me into a side hug.

"Yes, but no training until she has fully recovered. This means she needs another week inside - if possible without moving much from her bed - and the following two weeks Nova has to take it very slowly. I hope you can keep her in check, Mr Sol?" The Doctor says with a pointed look towards my father.

They share a past - I've figured out that much - I just don't know what happened between them. I feel like the Doctor doesn't like Izarius - my father - much, but for some reason, either for loyalty, trust or respect, she hides her feelings away and puts on a formal front.