Part 9

L was tied up against a post, her dreadlocks waving in the wind. 

You pull out a long carving knife and sigh, "I'd like for this to not get too messy, it's hard to explain why there's blood all over my clothes to the dry cleaners."

L sneers, "I'm not going to give you any information, so this is going to get very messy."

You laugh, "I think not. It took about five minutes for me to crack that baldy and that was with lock picks. I'm sure you're not too hard to break, love."

"That baldy's name is Tanaka, bitch, and he's had a lot less experience than me."

"Well then," you smirk. "This'll be fun. Let's start with widening that smile of yours."

(A/N: the next part is going to be slightly more violent. It'll end at the *** sign, in case you want to skip over this part.)

You bring the knife up to her cheek and stab it through the soft flesh. L grunts and clenches her jaw. Blood leaks out of the puncture wound and dribbles down her cheek. You extract the knife and wipe off the blood on L's shirt. You move to the other side and she closes her eyes. You can see the tears brimming and threatening to spill over, but she holds it back in an act of defiance. After you make a hole on the other side of her cheek L begins to tremble, her eyes still closed. You use your fingers to pry open her mouth and you stick the knife in. As you press the blade against the corner of her mouth the door bursts open. 

***

A blonde woman stands there with a flame thrower in her hand. She's wearing long pants and a sweatshirt, something you deem indecent for fighting.

"Well look who showed up," you smile at her, taking your attention off of L. "I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting yet."

"Get your fucking hands off of Le- Karma," the woman hisses. Even though her voice is steady her eyes are shaking with pure anger. "Don't make me light you on fire."

Out of the corner of your vision, you see L shake her head frantically, silently urging this woman to leave.

"I'm Y/n L/n," you ignore her last comment. "What's your name?"

"You can call me Inferno," she snarls. "Now, you have two choices, either go jump off the roof or let me burn you to a crisp."

You chuckle, "Feisty, I like it."

Inferno fakes a gag, "Really? All you villains are the same. Every time there's a woman that refuses to bow down to the bullshit of others you guys say we're feisty. That's like it's all you see."

You giggle, "You forget that you're a villain, too, and-"

"Yes," she interrupts. "But at least I'm not a monster."

~

You stand there, the vile stench of blood choking you and making it hard to breathe. The knife in your hand feels like lead, yet you can barely register your fist clenched around it. Your best friend, Clara, stands behind you, her guttural scream echoing in the night. You turn around slowly and Clara backs away.

"Don't come any closer!" she whimpers.

"No," you stumble forward and drop the knife. "Please, Clara, I can explain."

"No, no, no, there's nothing to explain," she whispers. "Just... let me go, please."

"No, Clara, please, I had to-"

"You had to?" she says, her voice becoming higher and louder. "Why? You didn't have to."

"Yes, please, just let me explain."

"No!" she screams. "Stay away."

"Clara," you wail. "Please, we're best friends. We promised to stay this way forever."

"That was before I knew you were a... a murderer."

Emotions chase each other across her face. Disbelieve. Shock. Fear. Disgust.

You stagger over to her and grab her hand with your own blood covered ones. Her eyes widen with fear and she tries to yank it away. Despite seeing her obvious discomfort you don't let go.

"Clara, he had to pay, he killed my family, I had to get revenge."

Clara glances over to the silhouette of a body laying on the floor, "No, you're wrong," she wrenches her hand away, wincing as her wrist twists from the effort, "You didn't have to do anything, you're just sick."

"Please, Clara," you beg, falling to your knees. You feel warm tears leak down your face, but you brush them away. "We're friends forever, remember? You promised.

"No," she turns around, glancing at you for a moment. "You're a monster."

She runs out to the street and disappears into the haze of city lights and people. A dull pain in your chest throbs and you let the tears fall freely then.

~

You snap out of the memory, but Inferno notices the glazed expression and catches on. She's ripping you away from L before you have time to clear your head. You grunt and struggle to remember the moves Tendou taught you, but your mind is still foggy. You roll away from your attacker and move to get another knife from the inside of your jacket. Inferno tackles you before you take out the knife and the two of you tumble across the rooftop. Your fall is stopped by the railing of the edge.

Damn memory. Damn Clara.

You push Inferno away with your elbow. A shriek escapes her lips and she grabs the coat of your postman uniform. You comprehend a second too late what's happening. She trips over the railing and off the building, dragging you down with her. L cries out from behind you, but both of you are falling through the air, faster and faster. The wind whips around your head and you realize surviving this fall is more important than killing this woman. You manage to flip yourself over and shield your face from the wind. You see the gray pavement and the specks of people walking beneath. 

Shit. You think. I'm... I'm going to die. You glance over to Inferno, who was digging something from underneath her sweatshirt. If I'm going to die, then she goes with me.