Part 10

(A/N: I know this probably doesn't obey the laws of physics, I know nothing about that stuff, so... just forget about science for a moment or something.)

The wind is whipping around your face and rushing past you way too fast. You gasp, struggling to get some air into your lungs. Your eyes are watering and your head is pounding painfully. You use one arm to shield yourself from the blinding wind and somehow manage to work your way over to Inferno. You sacrifice your arm-shield and close your eyes against the wind, relying solely on touch. You wrap your arms around her warm body and use your leg to swing yourself right side up so you're on top of her. Inferno yells something at you, but the wind is too loud. You feel her rustling around and suddenly you cry out. A knife of some sort is sticking out of your stomach. Sharp pains course through your body and you let go in shock. With your eyes still closed you wrench the knife out. You use one arm to try and stop the blood flow and the other to block the wind again. You open your eyes. The pavement was getting close, too close. The combination of pain and lack of oxygen was making you sluggish. Spots began to dance at the edge of your vision. You close your eyes and ears against the world and

wait

to

die.

~

"Fuck off!"

Clara's standing over you, fists clenched. You can barely see out of your swollen eyes. The moment the bullies run away Clara whips around and crouches down to inspect the extent of your injuries.

She cups your face lovingly, "Hey... how do you feel?"

"Are you hurt?" you ignore her question. "I'm so sorry, this is all my fault. If I wasn't so weak-"

"Y/n, don't say those things, you aren't weak."

"Yes, I am," you squeeze your eyes shut. "Those bullies beat me up. I didn't even get to throw a punch."

"Hey, Y/n, look at me," Clara whispers. "Whether or not you're weak doesn't depend solely on physical strength."

You look up at her with teary eyes.

She smiles, "Now let's get these wounds cleaned up."

~

"Go on, open it!" Clara's eager face is beaming with anticipation. 

You rip open the colorful wrapping paper. Inside is a cardboard box labeled with the Amazon logo. You look at Clara with excitement before ruthlessly tearing the box open. Inside is a wooden guitar with an epoxy ocean poured on the side.

"It's... it's beautiful," you choke out. "How did you know I wanted a guitar?"

"I asked your parents," she smiles happily. "They said you've always wanted one, but they couldn't afford it."

"Clara..." you're lost for words.

"You can pay me back by playing a song for me sometime."

"Of course!" you cry. "I would love to."

You walk on your knees over to her and wrap her in a giant hug. She returns it, one hand wrapped around your waist and one in your hair.

You blush, "Hey, Clara...."

"Yea?" she mumbles into your neck.

"I've been wanting to ask you something."

"Go for it, I'm here."

"I-," you stumble over your tongue. 

Her sweet smell wafts into your nose and your breath hitches. 

"You okay?" she asks.

"Do-."

Fuck. Do it Y/n. you think. I like you. Just like that but out loud.

"Do... do you want to be best friend forever?"

Damn chicken, you curse yourself.

She laughs, "What's with all this cheesiness all of a sudden? Of course I do. I'll have your back no matter what. I promise."

~

You groan and squeeze your eyes shut. You try to sit up but the moment your head moves it starts throbbing like hell.

"Welcome back to the waking world, love."

You blink at the pet name you call everyone, "What?"

"Open your eyes, bitch. It's time for you to be the one giving us information," L's voice breaks through your foggy mind.

Your eyes snap open. L and Inferno are sitting in front of you. L's jaw is wrapped in several layers of bandage. You feel cold handcuffs latched around your wrists. You try to move your arms, but the handcuffs are attached to the chair you're sitting in.

You chuckle, "You don't really think these will hold me long, do you?"

"Shiratorizawa isn't coming for you."

"And why is that?"

"Fukurodani isn't the only one here," Inferno speaks for the first time since you fell from the skyscraper.

Wait...

"How did I survive the fall?"

"You don't think I was stupid enough to go onto the roof without some kind of flight gaget, do you?" Inferno retorts.

"Touche. So, who else is here?"

"I doesn't matter."

"Bluffing," you run your tongue along your teeth. "Never get's you far, love."

"Good thing we're not, then," L's muffled voice snarls.

"I'm surprised that doesn't hurt," you turn your attention to L.

"It does, and I'm going to get revenge, bitch," after a moment she adds: "But I promised Kate I wouldn't hurt you until she's done."

You laugh, "For what I did to Baldy? It's the Mafia business, she should have a thicker hide."

"It is the mafia business, but you look out for each other in your gang, too. Although, I suppose you don't know anything about that."