7 - his boyfriend

Yibo had never been afraid of his life before. A while ago, he tried to help in making hotpot after he talked to Xiao Zhan's mom but he got shooed away. She said she couldn't let her guest do the cooking.

All of them were seated on one table and it was only table for four so Xiao Zhan and Yibo had to seat close with each other, their elbows touching. Xiao Zhan's mom was putting meat on Yibo's plate while the hotpot kept on boiling in front of him.

The smouldering smoke that came from the hotpot almost looked like a ghost for Yibo. Apart from ghosts and dark, he also couldn't stand spicy foods. He gulped. Everything looked so good and delicious but he really couldn't take it.

Xiao Zhan kept glancing on him.

"Do you like coriander?" Xiao Zhan's mom asked when he noticed Yibo kept eyeing at it.

Yibo's face lit up, "Yes!" He realized he said that loudly. "I mean... yes I like coriander," he said shyly.

Xiao Zhan's mom put a lot of coriander on his plate.

"What a coincidence. I also bought a lot of coriander, I didn't even know why I bought so many ah," she muttered happily.

Xiao Zhan's dad was chatting with grandma and he couldn't understand what they where saying.

Xiao Zhan's family eat the hotpot like it was nothing but a simple meal. Yibo's eyes almost watered by just staring at the boiling hotpot broth.

Xiao Zhan noticed that Yibo didn't eat anything exceptt the coriander. He looked at him and nudged him with his knees below the table.

"You okay?" Xiao Zhan mouthed.

Yibo pouted a little and whispered, "Ge, too spicy."

Xiao Zhan's eyes widened from realization. He hadn't thought about it. Yibo is not from Chongqing!

Oh I'm so stupid!

"Mom, dad--"

Yibo stopped him by also nudging his knee.

"Why son?" Xiao Zhan's dad answered.

"Zhan'ge," Yibo called him, "It's okay."

"What okay?" Xiao Zhan's mom asked this time.

Grandma just smiled at them.

"I think we're going out tonight. Yibo can't eat spicy. We'll also visit aunty's shop," Xiao Zhan explained. "If that's okay with you."

Their parents were slightly surprised.

"Oh, why didn't you tell me beforehand? I could've made something mild for him," his mom said while shooting him a scolding stare.

Xiao Zhan's dad agreed, "okay, do you want me to drive you?"

"Nonono, we're just gonna take walk. Thanks dad."

Yibo bowed and muttered some apology as they stood up.

"It's okay, it's okay son. I'll make sure to cook you something not spicy from now on. Now go, you must be starving," Xiao Zhan's mom tapped his back.

They were almost at the door when grandma uttered, "Zhanzhan Yibo, jiayou! My second grandson is really handsome!"

"Ma, what do you mean by second grandson?" Xiao Zhan's mom asked.

"Zhanzhan said he's his boyfriend," grandma said while giggling.

Xiao Zhan stumbled while exiting the door. He remembered his grandma often mistakenly hear their words. He wanted to go back to make things clear but Yibo was already outside kicking some pebbles around him.

"Ugh! Later," he muttered to himself.

The moon was so bright tonight. Its moonlight spilled into the trees and slightly illuminated the road. Crickets behind the bush were loud. The surrounding were not that dark because of the moon, and the sound of the bird calling could be heard from afar.

Xiao Zhan's Aunty's shop was not far, it's just few minutes away from their house.

Xiao Zhan noticed that Yibo walked a little closer to him as they walk. The fast thumping of his heart from earlier almost became normal, but with this closer proximity, he was afraid his heart would explode in any second.

The day was not yet over but so many things had happened. Xiao Zhan just couldn't believe it. It was like a dream.

Yibo...

As he let himself lost in his thoughts, he felt his outer clothes tighten in his body. When he looked at it, there was a hand grabbing his jacket.

"Yibo?" Xiao Zhan asked softly.

"Too dark," Yibo answered, pretending to be cool at it.

Xiao Zhan's heart soften tremendously. Oh my, I just want to squish him!

"Come here," Xiao Zhan hold his waist. Just for tonight.

Yibo sighed in satisfaction, happily tightened his hold.

"You're afraid of dark?" Xiao Zhan asked, their shadow made a figure of two hugging people side by side on the ground.

"Yeah, I am always afraid of it," Yibo admitted.

"Why?" Xiao Zhan asked further.

"I don't know. It's just making me feel scared. When I'm at the dark place, all I could think of is a room full of darkness where no one can hear me or hug me. It's a horrible thought," Yibo said.

Xiao Zhan looked at him, chest tightening even more. Yibo just admitted his weaknesses to him, and Xiao Zhan had a ridiculous question in his head.

"Why does it seemed like we've known each other for eternity?" He uttered without knowing.

They both paused, immediately finding each other's eyes.

Yibo, a little surprised, then smiled and said, "Maybe it's fate."

"I didn't know you are this romantic Wang Yibo."

"I'm only like this with you Xiao Zhan."