Chapter 11

A year had gone by since then, and the Powerpuff Girls now lived in Roseford City, twenty thousand miles away from Megaville. They seemed to be doing well.

Blossom was the president of her class, and the topper of every exam; Bubbles was a member of the health committee and would always be surrounded by a large group of friends; Buttercup was the star player of the school soccer team and a friend of all the boys in her class.

Back in Megaville, Dexter was stumped. He'd been trying to formulate something that would revive the boys, but he didn't know how. Dr. Fromm was with him as often as his work allowed, but even together, their minds went blank.

That is, until that morning.

Dexter wasn't there, and yet, Dr. Fromm was going through his laboratory, in the chamber the Rowdyruff Boys were situated. "I've finally found a solution!" he declared to himself, hooking each brother up with numerous wires. "Why didn't I think of it before?"

"Hold on, Bubbles," he murmured as soon as he'd finished his work, and came over to a lever. "I'll help you."

"Richard, what are you doing?"

Dr. Fromm looked up at the glass, and behind it, he could see Dexter, staring with wide disbelieving eyes. "Richard, what are you doing in there?"

"That's Dr. Fromm, Dexter," he replied, taking hold of the metal rod.

"Answer my question, Richard!"

"I've finally found a solution! That's my answer!" Dr. Fromm's eyes shone with a kind of euphoria, as if he'd finally found the meaning of life. "Last night, I was watching TV with my parents. We were watching a movie about Frankenstein's monster, and when Dr. Frankenstein brought it to life, it hit me. It isn't because of the patches of body parts the scientist used to make his monster that brought it to life, but because of the electric voltage! Using the electric voltage, I can restart the Rowdyruff Boys' hearts!"

"Richard, stop!" Dexter exclaimed, grabbing at the handle of the titanium door. But it refused to give way and Dexter realized Dr. Fromm had barred it. He returned to the glass. "Richard, it's been a year since they died! Restarting someone's heart would have to be just seconds after death! It won't work!"

"Of course it'll work!" Dr. Fromm insisted. "They're metahumans!"

Before Dexter could go on, he pulled the lever. Electric volts traveled up the wires and disappeared into the Rowdyruff Boys. Suddenly, they started to jostle and convulse on the tables. "It's working!" Dr. Fromm cried with glee.

"It's not working!!!" Dexter screamed. "Fromm, you're a lunatic!!!"

Then Brick gave a loud gasp, and his eyes popped open. Dexter couldn't believe his eyes. "It's... working?!"

Boomer and Butch soon followed suit. "I did it!" Dr. Fromm announced. That was until the Rowdyruff Boys began to glow, and the air began to tremble with jolts of power as the light continued to climb. Dr. Fromm's joy simmered down, replaced with panic. "Hey, what are you guys doing?! Stop it!"

Dexter had heard this phenomenon often enough from the Powerpuff Girls and what had happened once would happen again.

"They're going to blow!" Instinctively, he ducked and came an explosion so powerful, it shook the whole of Megaville.

Dr. Brisbaine and Professor Utonium felt the tremors, and Professor Utonium had felt that quake before. "The Rowdyruff Boys!"

"Excuse me?" It was Dr. Brisbaine.

"Back in Townsville, that quaking happened when the Rowdyruff Boys exploded," Professor Utonium explained hurriedly. "You don't think..?"

"Dexter!"

They knew from the very beginning that Dexter wasn't on board with sending the Powerpuff Girls away and during their discussion on bringing the Rowdyruff Boys back a year ago, Dexter had brought up doing it for the Powerpuff Girls because it was the only way to make them happy.

Dr. Brisbaine and Professor Utonium hurried for the Brisbaine laboratory, rushing into the secret basement under the catacombs and opening the steel door. There, their worst fears were confirmed. The chambers were empty, and the Rowdyruff Boys were nowhere to be found.

They knew of only one other place, and rushed to it as fast as they could. After frantically finding the entrance into the secret workspace, they searched every corner, bypassing the several knickknacks and machinery that made it up.

Then they saw a large window showing a different room closed off from the rest of the laboratory. Beneath the glass was a dashboard, covered in dials, buttons, and levers. Beside it, a large door was wide open, and Dexter stood speechless in the doorway.

"Dexter, what did you do?" Professor Utonium demanded.

"It wasn't me!" he protested.

"What do you mean it wasn't you?! We saw that the Rowdyruff Boys were missing! You took them!"

"Okay, I'm guilty!" was his eventual admittance. "But I swear, the explosion wasn't me! It was Richard Fromm!"

"Dr. Fromm caused that explosion?" Professor Utonium asked, now appalled. Quickly, Dexter explained what he'd witnessed. "But I don't see Dr. Fromm inside the room."

"I think he might've..." Dexter stopped, feeling that he didn't need to say anymore about what might've happened to Dr. Fromm. Scattered all around the floor were...

"The Rowdyruff Boys' core ingredients!" Professor Utonium exclaimed.

"It looks like Dr. Fromm's mistake gave us something to work with," Dr. Brisbaine observed, and gathered up the ingredients.

Dexter, for lack of any words, just leaned against the wall, removed his glasses, and pinched the bridge of his nose.

He stared after Dr. Brisbaine and Professor Utonium as they exited the room. "I know one thing for sure," he told himself. "The Rowdyruff Boys would know how they died."

================================================================================

As promised, here's the next chapter! I didn't think I'd get any support to keep continuing this story—honestly, I put it up just as an experiment—but for those who have made it this far, thank you for reading through the elements of depression, self-harm, and suicide. (^▽^)

Also, for clarity in case of a misunderstanding, I've only ever dabbled in depression in some of the books I read, TV shows I watch, and a person or two I meet in my life, so please nobody roast me for understating or overexaggerating these things.

And, as someone who tends to push limits on the age restrictions of certain books ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), I just want to remind you that there are still elements of suicide and self-harm in this story, so if you can't handle it, turn back now.

My blog:

blackandwhitepersona.wixsite.com/penandink

My DeviantArt:

deviantart.com/bwpersona

- BlackAndWhitePersona