Chapter 5

Professor Utonium glanced down at Dexter, who looked back. To a civilian, he would've sounded like a guardian attempting to hide his grief. But they knew better. When he'd said that, he wasn't referring to what happened with Brick, and what had most likely happened to Boomer and Butch. He was referring to what they didn't accomplish.

And for a moment, Professor Utonium was struck by Dr. Brisbaine's indifference. Despite who they were, the Rowdyruff Boys were more than artificial humans. Dr. Brisbaine worked for the government, sure, but did that really warrant no consideration to their well-beings? Officially, they were agents, but in Dr. Brisbaine's vision of the Rowdyruff Boys, they were more than sure that he saw the three eleven-year-olds as merely experiments.

With their combined efforts, Brick was removed from the crater and laid down right beside it. According to Dr. Brisbaine, he would be left there until they could retrieve the other Rowdyruff Boys, and they continued their trek into dangerous terrain.

It wasn't long either before they came abreast of the three energy signatures Dexter had sighted earlier.

The three Powerpuff Girls stood with their backs to the three, staring at the humongous corpse of the hydra that had been discovered hours before. Its thick scaly hide appeared to have been mercilessly attacked, and one eye socket dripped with thick hot blood. Its two long necks were woven tightly together, and the gargantuan jaws of its two heads hung open in endless roars, blood having pooled around the three girls' feet.

But what disturbed them the most was its chest; perforated in the leathery skin was a gaping hole that introduced an entrance into the beast's chest cavity. From far away, they could see what remained of its heart.

"Girls!" Professor Utonium called in relief.

A big mistake.

When the three metahumans turned to look at them, their eyes were enough to make them shrink back. Each girl's eyes glowed in their signature colors, crackling dangerously with lightning.

"Girls?" Professor Utonium took a cautious step back. "Is something wrong?"

His question only fell on deaf ears, and the longer they stared at them, the more discomfort they were beginning to feel. Then Bubbles raised her hand and shot a blue blast in their direction. Had they not jumped out of the way at the last second, they wouldn't have even had a chance to breathe their last.

The blue bolt crashed into one of the uprooted trees, and when the flash died, the dead trunk that had once been there seemed to have disintegrated into nothingness.

"Bubbles, what's wrong?" Professor Utonium exclaimed.

Blossom's attack followed immediately after his utterance of the words, and they were forced to dodge a second time. "Blossom!" Dexter cried. "Stop! It's me! Dexter!"

Buttercup came after this, and once again, they were able to keep their lives once more.

"Buttercup!" Professor Utonium protested. "Is there something wrong? Whatever it is, we can—"

"Professor!" Dexter shouted as Blossom's laser eyes narrowly missed the scientist. "We have to go!" Quickly, the three scattered in different directions. And an unfair advantage it was, with the three running frantically like mice in a cage.

================================================================================

Okay, Chapter 5 is somewhat short, compared to my earlier chapters. But here it is, and Chapter 6 will come out soon for the people reading this. Again, I warn you, the tags do not lie on this thing; there are certain elements of self-harm and suicidal tendencies, so if you don't like those, it'd be best to stop reading now. ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

I'm sure I sound like a machine now, constantly adding this message, but I'd definitely appreciate it if you guys checked out my blog and DeviantArt, and take a peep at the things I've got there!

I'll leave the links down here!

My blog:

blackandwhitepersona.wixsite.com/penandink

My DeviantArt:

www.deviantart.com/bwpersona

- BlackAndWhitePersona