Chapter 7

Morning drifted into Megaville, and despite the tragedies that had occurred the day before, there didn't seem to be a change among its residents. Except for the Powerpuff Girls.

Whatever power they'd tapped into the day before was still unknown, but from accounts by all three girls, there was a possibility that they could be triggered through moments of extreme stress.

After Professor Utonium and Dexter had returned Blossom and Bubbles to their senses, it was fairly easy for them to return Buttercup to normal. And once they'd returned home, all they did was collapse in choking sobs.

Blossom had been the first to wake that day, followed by Bubbles, and then Buttercup. Seated by their bedside was Professor Utonium, looking quite haggard, as though he had spent the whole night worrying for his three daughters.

"W-What time is it?" Blossom moaned.

"It's eight in the morning." He pinched the bridge of his nose, as though preparing himself for what was to come. "Girls, there's something I have to tell you."

If Professor Utonium had expected confusion, disbelief, or drowsiness, he didn't receive it. Instead, his daughters' expressions gained an instant grim, and they fixed themselves into proper sitting positions, staring silently at him with somber eyes.

He swallowed a shuddering breath, and fisted his anxious fingers in his lap. "As you know, the Rowdyruff Boys died yesterday."

At the first mention of their dead counterparts, Bubbles's bottom lip began to quiver, and Buttercup's chest seemed to have constricted to the point where breathing was no longer an option.

"Girls." Blossom's tone was quiet, but fierce. "Remember what we talked about last night. Remember."

Her words mystified Professor Utonium, but had a placating effect on her sisters, who nodded and tried to reel themselves in. "Blossom, what did you and your sisters talk about last night?"

Blossom seemed to brighten, which only troubled Professor Utonium. "The Rowdyruff Boys." She smiled, pleased with herself. "There was a lot of crying at first but I knew it was there, somewhere in their minds. I just had to bring it out. So I reminded them about what happened when they exploded."

At first, what she said barely registered. Then, somehow, Professor Utonium sputtered out, "You... did what?"

Bubbles took a deep breath and relaxed. "She reminded us about what happened when they exploded. They died then, didn't they? The Rowdyruff Boys could just be recreated again. It's not like it'll change them very much. I mean, these are the Rowdyruff Boys."

Buttercup also breathed in, and seemed to ease into a state of calm. "I know it sounds weird, but when are you guys recreating them? We want to be there when you do it."

Professor Utonium hadn't planned this. He thought he could tell them when they've stopped crying but this was worse, that they were filled with a hope that what happened before could happen again. I have to tell them, he chided himself. It'll only hurt later on, when they find out the truth.

He gathered his nerve and spoke. "Girls, I'm afraid I have some bad news."

The effect of his words was immediate. Their hope quickly showed its cracks. "W-What do you mean?" Bubbles stammered. She looked ready to cry.

You have to tell them, he told himself. You have to. "The Rowdyruff Boys can't be recreated."

It was like Professor Utonium had spoken a foreign language. What temporary reprieve they could build themselves was gone, and their eyes reflected their disbelief and misery as they stared at this sober man sitting before them.

"W-Why..?" Blossom whispered. "Are you guys refusing to?"

"No," Professor Utonium said, shaking his head dismally. "The problem is, the Rowdyruff Boys didn't explode."

"Why is that the problem?!" Buttercup exclaimed, being the first one to shed tears. "You wanted them in pieces?!"

Blossom's shoulders slumped. "Pieces..." she mumbled. "That was it." She looked at Professor Utonium, tears in her eyes. "Wasn't it?"

"Yes," he said. "To recreate the Rowdyruff Boys, we need their core ingredients, which would've already fused with the Chemical X they were made with. But we can't just get new ingredients. We need the original ingredients. And even if we didn't, we don't have any more Chemical X. But because the Rowdyruff Boys still had their physical bodies, we can't do anything except accept they're dead."

The girls were silent, taking this all in. Then Bubbles finally broke down. But not in the way you'd expect. She grabbed the bedside lamp and threw it at him, who scrambled out of the way.

"I hate you!" Bubbles yelled as Blossom and Buttercup tried to restrain her. As Professor Utonium hurried for the door, Bubbles kept on shouting insults to him. "You're no scientist! You don't know how to do anything! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!"

================================================================================

Oops, Bubbles snapped. But then again, Boomer switched their places on who would be killed by the beast. Still, what can Professor Utonium do? He can't do anything.

I'm sure that if people are still reading this far, I hope you keep in mind that the tags here mean that not just any age group is allowed to read this—Wattpad's rules, not mine—so please beware that there would be scenes of self-harm and suicidal tendencies. I might or I might not go into graphic detail about it, but I just want to put that out there, so if you're able to stomach that... then keep reading. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW, I say this every time, but I'd really appreciate it if you guys could come take a look at my blog and DeviantArt and give me your feedback. Thank you! 

I'll drop the links down here!

My blog:

blackandwhitepersona.wixsite.com/penandink

My DeviantArt:

www.deviantart.com/bwpersona

- BlackAndWhitePersona