Chapter 2- France

My feet abruptly found the ground, and I stumbled to maintain my footing on rock solid marble tiles. The change of scenery from my dark office was jarring. It had been the middle of the night in New York, but the sun was just beginning to rise in this part of the world. The portkey had delivered me into the center of a grand foyer, with lofty ceilings and checkered tiles- it was obviously a newly built house that was designed to look old. Directly in front of me was a sweeping stone staircase illuminated by the golden light of daybreak that pierced through gilded floor-to-ceiling windows. Multiple hallways stretched out in all directions, adorned with spotless white rugs that matched pearly chiffon curtains.

I turned around in place to look for the patient, or perhaps someone who was expecting me, but I was alone.

"Hello?"

My voice carried through the empty halls and was sent back to me with an echoing "oh, oh, oh". An unsettling feeling grew within the pit of my stomach. On the cream colored walls there were no portraits, or paintings, or anything that could be used to identify the owner of the Chateau. I procured my wand. I may have just transported myself into a trap.

"Revelio." I whispered the revealing spell, and was surprised to discover layers upon layers of protection charms on the house. The owner was clearly picky about who they allowed in.

"Hello!" I called again into the empty halls. "I'm the Healer that was summoned!"

"Hello, miss."

I whirled around to face the source of the small voice. I had to stifle a gasp when I laid eyes upon a House Elf wearing nothing but a faded paisley-patterned pillowcase. House Elves were not common in America, and it had been almost 8 years since I'd seen one.

The House Elf took my hand, but only a few of my fingers could fit in her tiny grasp. She pulled me along with urgency. "Paisley will take The Healer to the Madame."

I had no opportunity to ask questions as the House Elf pulled me up the stairs and through the halls. Everywhere I looked, the walls were blank; the doors to rooms were closed; and there was no sound, no chatter, no signs of other people. Just who summoned me here? And why?

The House Elf, Paisley, led me to a set of double doors.

"Madame is in very bad condition," Paisley whimpered. "Please do what you can."

Paisley opened the door to one of the finest bedrooms I had ever seen; but I was unable to take in its beauty, as my ears were immediately assaulted by an animalistic scream. My nose picked up on the heavy stench of blood.

Four older mediwitches dressed in lime green robes surrounded a massive bed. Two were at the base on their knees, and the other two were on either side of a deathly pale young woman. She appeared to be in agonized labor.

I looked down at the House Elf. "There must be a mistake," I said, my voice drowned out slightly by the woman caterwauling. "I do not deliver babies."

"Madame has a blood curse," Paisley replied worriedly. "Madame requires the Dark Magic healing."

My eyes widened. A pregnant woman with a blood curse? Blood curses were extremely rare, and notoriously difficult to treat. Most people with blood curses died before they reached middle age. For someone with a blood curse to become pregnant... I had never heard of such a thing.

I immediately set to work. I shed my overcoat and rolled up the sleeves of my white robes to perform a sanitizing spell over my hands.

"Miss?" I attempted to speak to the mother- but she was unresponsive.