Chapter 15- The Pensieve

Posting two chapters because the last one was a big downer. -kittyhawk

I couldn't put into words what made me take the portkey to France that night. The hospital had told me not to return for my emergency room shift while they managed the pixie infestation, so I had nothing else to do. Maybe it was also a bit of loneliness. My heart was still racing a little from my argument with Len.

Regardless of reason, I found myself in the dark foyer of the Chateau at 11 PM on the night of the full moon. It was storming in France, and rain was hitting the windows of the Chateau with furious little tapping sounds that ebbed into sloshing waves. Other than that, the home was quiet.

Draco's working right now, I reminded myself. And Astoria is probably sleeping at this hour. I made my way to the nursery to see if Scorpius was awake.

"M-Miss Erica!" Paisley the House Elf was surprised to see me, especially because I was wearing a long coat, chiffon blouse and pants instead of my healer robes. "Miss Erica was not expected tonight. Should Paisley wake the Madam?"

"No, Paisley, let her sleep," I said quietly. "I... I will be sleeping in the guest room tonight. If that's alright."

"Of course!" Paisley affirmed. "The room is Miss Erica's whenever she wants it."

Luckily, Scorpius was awake, and very excited to see me. The little boy was just coming up on his three month mark. He had grown exponentially and put on quite a bit of cute baby chunk, likely because the House Elves constantly doted upon him. Draco was also warming up to his son, and had new questions for me about him every day. Holding Scorpius was still a challenge for Draco, but when the two of them were together, it was like seeing double.

I took Scorpius into my arms, cradling his head in the nook of my elbow. "Miss Erica is welcome to take Scorpius for a walk around the Chateau," Paisley said to me. "A walk seems to get the little master back to sleep."

"What do you think, Scor?" I cooed to the baby. "A little stroll sounds good, doesn't it?" Scorpius uttered some unintelligible noise in response.

As I walked through the darkened halls of the Chateau, I talked to Scorpius, but mostly to myself. There's something about babies; they're very good listeners.

"It's amazing how you hardly ever cry, Scorpius. So far you've been one of the calmest babies I've ever met." I passed by a rain-splattered window. "Have you ever been outside this house? No, maybe you're too young for that..."

The storm clouds parted momentarily to reveal the glowing full moon. I paused by the window to stare.

"Maybe when you're older, you can see what's outside this house. And when you're eleven, you can go to Hogwarts.... oh."

Wait.

If Draco is banished, does that also apply to his son?

I looked down at Scorpius, who was smiling up at me, entirely unaware of what I was saying. It was a naive smile. One that would vanish as soon as he knew what Death Eaters were, and what his father had done. I could clearly picture Scorpius in a few years pointing to Draco's arm and asking him what his Dark Mark meant.

What will Draco say to him?

"You shouldn't worry," I said to Scorpius, but also to myself. "Even when you're old enough to learn the truth, you'll know that your father is a good man."

I continued walking in silence, meandering towards the west wing. I knew I shouldn't go snooping around Draco's personal study, but he was gone slaying werewolves tonight, and I likely wouldn't have another chance to get a glimpse into his private world. I couldn't resist.